Crosswalk is no longer developed.

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
  • Crosswalk 23 is the last Crosswalk crosswalk-project.org/blog/crosswalk-final-release.html. What is the future like for us? Webview does not work at all below Andoid 5.0 and the performance is horrible on Android 5.0+. How will we be able to create Android games?

• haha

"Crosswalk 23 is our last stable release. After that we will no longer fix specific bugs but will leave the source code and binaries available for Crosswalk users to continue building applications."

lol

• Crosswalk 23 is the last Crosswalk https://crosswalk-project.org/blog/cros ... lease.html. What is the future like for us? Webview does not work at all below Andoid 5.0 and the performance is horrible on Android 5.0+. How will we be able to create Android games?

I wouldn't worry too much. Webview seems to work fine from what I've noticed. I don't even bother to target users with less than 5.0, since they probably have old slow phones with old OS. The user base below 5.0 is steadily declining, so for me it feels like it's not worth it to use crosswalk anyway.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Performance on Android 5.0+ with the webview is generally fine, it's normally the same as the Chrome browser since they share the same browser engine. In fact it's the same browser engine as Crosswalk, but more up-to-date. (Almost everybody who complains turns out to have a GPU-blacklisted device, which affects just a few % of devices.)

Eventually Android 4.x will shrink to a negligible amount of market share. You can keep using the last version of Crosswalk up until then.

• That's not entirely the truth for "normal mobile devices".

My game works a lot better using crosswalk on my Samsung Galaxy S3 (4 yo phone, Android 4.4 only) than using Webview on Sony Xperia Z2 (2 yo phone Android 6.0.1), which is a lot better in all aspects.

If you have something like Samsung S6 or newer than you are fine... but not everyone can afford them. oh and btw. Android 4.4 and lower takes still ~30% of the market, which is just few percent lower than 2 years ago when A 5.0 was released.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)