Crosswalk Intel XDK experiences

1 favourites
  • I've just tested with High DPI in C2 and compiled with Intel XDK using the canary beta option. It broke my WebGL effect "Glass" (from C2's default effects), it works fine with High DPI is set to No in C2. Quite strange.

All it is is a 128 x 128 white sprite with Glass effect, set to grow by 20 pixels height and width every frame.

The phenomenon I observed is, the 'Glass' effect is broken on a 256x256 sprite with nothing is painted for the sprite, regardless of whether high dpi is on or not. But it works if WebGL is off by C2, says canvas 2d renderer is used instead.

As for the High DPI setting itself, it works at making the image much better quality (same as CocoonJS). There is a noticeable drop in performance, I am doing more tests now to give you an exact performance loss figure.

Edit: Seems to go from an average fps of 45 to 40 with the DPI settings but on high DPI, it has more drops down to 30 fps. CocoonJS is most of the time 60 fps, with dips to 50. This is on my LG G-Pad with Snapdragon S600.

Really thanks for your update, and I think it is very important for Crosswalk. As I know, CJS has a special native implementation for canvas, called direct canvas (canvas+), which shortcuts a general rendering pipeline for web page layout and rendering. The thing I am interesting in is, the performance of high dpi is heavily impacted, which is beyond my expectation. For such performance issue, I am afraid it is not easy to reproduce without your case. So would you mind to share your capx file to me? I'd like to help profile and optimize it, from Crosswalk internal and app level. Thanks in advance.

• XDK has updated it's build system so beta is crosswalk 6 and stable is crosswalk 5. Sorry, this does not bring gpu blacklist control, admob, iap. This requires a change to xdk which I am hoping will be in June.

I am working with Ashley on google play game services. Crosswalk 6 now has the capability, but it won't work the construct2 plugin in its current form.

• Am I the only one who had an huge performance drop with XWalk 6?

• > hmin

>

> I prefer not to show people my project, it is my main project. Maybe it is just my phone, it is getting rather old and the battery is starting to go with it.

>

> On another note, I did notice that the app's (no matter if its a plain new project or my main project), sometimes close for no reason when I exit the app and re open it. (not exiting the app entire, just closing it using home button, and opening it up later, or sometimes if i keep the app running and just turn off the phones screen, and turn it back on, app crashes and restarts.) is this something you are aware of as well?

>

GameThirsty, the issue your reported is by-design for all apps running on Android system. On Android, each app has its lifecycle, the system may terminate an background app to free resource if the Android system is running into low memory. An app would be switched to background if you press home button or back button or turn off the screen. This is why you find the app exits and restarts when re-opening it again.

Regarding to the crashes, did you have an evidence? for example, an error dialog or adb logcat error message.

hmin

I do get "server could not be reached" application error on start up sometimes. it was something along the lines of //index.html or something like that, searching for the file. This has been mentioned before in this thread.

• Chromium will also blacklist the accelerated canvas2d on some device, e.g. the older Qualcomm Adreno device, see the link crbug.com/161575. To confirm the gpu feature status on your device, I suggest to use Chrome for Android for help, you can type about://gpu to check the output for Canvas category.

Hi hmin, I'm currently in the process of moving over from CJS to Crosswalk, and I came across this issue. What is the resolution process for this bug? Is this something that you guys deal with on your side, or is WebGL just never going to work with Crosswalk on a Galaxy S3 due to a driver bug that's beyond your control?

I understand that blacklist ignoring is something that's coming up soon in Intel XDK. Will it be safe to simply ignore blacklistsed GPUs to ensure WebGL works? I've been testing on my GS3 using Cocoon for some time now (with WebGL enabled), and it's always behaved itself fine.

• Hello! I just tried building app with Crosswalk by following Ashley's tutorial. However, when I download the file, the apk for ARM architecture is 0 bytes while x86 is normal (around 50mb).

Did I miss something when building it? Thanks!

• Am I the only one who had an huge performance drop with XWalk 6?

Knifegrinder, Did you mean the canvas performance? If so, lots of previous threads are discussing it due to gpu blacklist issue.

• Hi hmin, I'm currently in the process of moving over from CJS to Crosswalk, and I came across this issue. What is the resolution process for this bug? Is this something that you guys deal with on your side, or is WebGL just never going to work with Crosswalk on a Galaxy S3 due to a driver bug that's beyond your control?

I understand that blacklist ignoring is something that's coming up soon in Intel XDK. Will it be safe to simply ignore blacklistsed GPUs to ensure WebGL works? I've been testing on my GS3 using Cocoon for some time now (with WebGL enabled), and it's always behaved itself fine.

GeometriX, currently Crosswalk disables WebGL internally by default for a buggy driver , which means WebGL would never works unless gpu blacklist is ignored .

If you want to ignore gpu blacklist by manual, from Crosswalk 6, it allows to add app-specific command line options by adding a new asset file to your apk. You can add <APP_DIR>/assets/xwalk-command-line into your apk with the following content:

xwalk --ignore-gpu-blacklist[/code:3oahbykf]
    and then rebuild your apk.
  • Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • hmin

I do get "server could not be reached" application error on start up sometimes. it was something along the lines of //index.html or something like that, searching for the file. This has been mentioned before in this thread.

GameThirsty, May I confirm 3 things with you? Thanks.

1. Is the error message saying "The connection to the server was unsuccessful"?

2. Did you set the value of LoadUrlTimeoutValue in config.xml file? and what is the value?

3. Would the error happen each time or sometimes when launching app?

• Hello hmin I was wondering about a feature In-app purchase in Google Play using Crosswalk, I was waiting to release a game which is freemium but I can't release it without IAP feature. I've been waiting for long time.

When will we have this implemented feature? Thanks

• Hello hmin I was wondering about a feature In-app purchase in Google Play using Crosswalk, I was waiting to release a game which is freemium but I can't release it without IAP feature. I've been waiting for long time.

When will we have this implemented feature? Thanks

Joannesalfa, Maybe the phonegap plugin for IAP would help you. Search AndroidInAppBilling in github.com to check if it meets your requirements. You can follow the instruction for phonegap plugin integration to add it into your app.

• Guys, do you have some knowledge of how to force the app to start in landscape with CrossWalk?

No matter what i try, depending on the rotation of the device the app can start in portrait, and with that, i'm having a little glitch after the portrait Splashscreen, the screen is divided with a solid black and white for a short period, then it goes do the app.

• hmin I would avoid using Phonegap because it's very slow.

Are you saying it's impossible to implement IAP in Crosswalk as future version?

• hmin I would avoid using Phonegap because it's very slow.

Are you saying it's impossible to implement IAP in Crosswalk as future version?

had said they are going to implement Store and iAds, I believe the timeframe was June/July.

Fingers crossed.

• >

> Hi hmin, I'm currently in the process of moving over from CJS to Crosswalk, and I came across this issue. What is the resolution process for this bug? Is this something that you guys deal with on your side, or is WebGL just never going to work with Crosswalk on a Galaxy S3 due to a driver bug that's beyond your control?

>

> I understand that blacklist ignoring is something that's coming up soon in Intel XDK. Will it be safe to simply ignore blacklistsed GPUs to ensure WebGL works? I've been testing on my GS3 using Cocoon for some time now (with WebGL enabled), and it's always behaved itself fine.

>

GeometriX, currently Crosswalk disables WebGL internally by default for a buggy driver , which means WebGL would never works unless gpu blacklist is ignored .

If you want to ignore gpu blacklist by manual, from Crosswalk 6, it allows to add app-specific command line options by adding a new asset file to your apk. You can add <APP_DIR>/assets/xwalk-command-line into your apk with the following content:

xwalk --ignore-gpu-blacklist[/code:32i5blxf]
    and then rebuild your apk.

I would like to try this out but I don't know how. Where exactly in the process of exporting with Construct, importing into Intel XDK, building and installing the build do I do this? Do I have to modify the built APK file (because then I would have to resign it, right?) or can I do this BEFORE building with Intel XDK?

EDIT: I read the Crosswalk Documentation and tried out making a blank file named 'xwalk-command-line' containing the single line: 'xwalk --ignore-gpu-blacklist'. I copied this file to the root directory of the App (before compiling, the one containing index.html). I then built the App with Intel XDK and Crosswalk 6 (beta) enabled. This didn't work.

P.S.: I am doing all this because on my test device, a Galaxy S2, the GPU seems to be blacklisted and WebGL is disabled by default.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)