> I ran experiments with bouncing most of those terrain objects down to paster objects at the start of the layout. It turned out to be far less efficient than just multiple instances of the same objects (which are never checked for collision). It also takes a huge hit to the vram. A tilemap would either lack the diversity or require a significantly higher amount of work. If I put in the time to do all that, and it has that many possible outcomes, though, it actually seems as though it might be heading more intro the realm of huge vram consumption like the paster objects.
> So I fully understand it looks strange to use so many instances, but I don't see any better solution in C2 and it has an almost negligible impact on performance so long as I'm not targeting mobile (where fillrate would be the problem).
I like your method how you making the levels, but how big is the layout?
for example you can use a tilemap (without any collision, just for design) to make some graphics and reduce the instance of the level... it's hard to make the combination with a tilemap, but you can also make 2,3 or more tilemap with different texture and mix together
It would still be extremely limiting to try to make it work into the rest of the game. Even though there are more objects overall with my method, that cliff only took like one frame and then a circle to mask the edges. It only needs to be done for things that aren't straight anyways or to at times give variety to the ground. The level in the demonstration is I think 4,000x3,000 pixels, so I'm quite happy with the object count.
rexrainbow Thanks! I'm more looking at it as a less-limited way to use tiles, really. So most things are made of just big tiled background objects (walls, grass, dirt, etc), sometimes with some masking. I do have a few gigantic layouts that push the object count up quite a bit, but it's never really all on-screen at the same time and I have graphics settings in the menus of the game for users to disable (remove) things like swaying grass and to stop leaves and trees from swaying among other things. It really works surprisingly well, and any other method I've tested would either limit how it looks or crank the vram up considerably.