Constant FPS drops

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
320 high-quality cinematic sound effects for trailers and game scenes.
  • All of my C2 projects are suffering from constant frame drops - stable 60fps, then after a few seconds massive drop to 40-50fps for about half a second. This is VERY noticeable and makes fast-paced games unplayable. Occurs on any project on my PC - even a newly created project with nothing in it.

It only seems to happen on my PC. Anything else, including my much slower laptop doesn't have it.

I've tried different C2 versions, including newest, old and steam version. Same thing on all of them.

I'm guessing it's something with my PC. Any ideas?

• If your testing performance you should create a text object and have that display fps. Debug is for seeing values of objects, so there's that.

Only thing I can think of is it may be the browser, try a different one if you haven't already.

• That's what I did. Same for the text object. I've also tried different browsers, including NW.js. Same results.

• Maybe this has nothing to do with Construct. Open the Task Manager, Performance tab, see if there are any sudden spikes in CPU utilization.

• It seems like the FPS drops are occuring mostly with CPU utilization drops, though it's a very significant amount, about 3% difference with my Intel Core i5-4690 3.50Ghz

• This is something that comes up from time to time in the forum. In my experience drops in FPS are usually tied to a lack of optimization. I'm not sure how your project is set up but perhaps something can be done to ease overhead.

• Hello,

Several questions :

- Do you experience this on every preview browsers ?

- Did you test it under export, NW.js included ?

- Have you got two graphic cards, dedicated and integrated one ? If so you should set the right one for each program in your graphic configuration.

- Do you develop from a laptop computer ? If so, verify the power settings. Sometimes it switches to low power settings if plugged/unplugged and send less power to GPU and CPU.

- Do you have a lot of iterations through objects (loops) that occur each tick in your C2 project event sheets ?

- Did you look at the number of objects being created while debugging ? Maybe some objects are not destroyed.

- Are you on Windows 7 and not using the Aero (graphic interface) ? Rare cases where it prevent from using graphic acceleration.

• Sorry for the late response.

Do you experience this on every preview browsers ?

-Yes, every preview

Did you test it under export, NW.js included ?

-Yes, same thing for exports, even with NW.js

Have you got two graphic cards, (...)

-No, I only have one graphic card

Do you develop from a laptop computer ? (...)

-Desktop

Do you have a lot of iterations through objects (loops) that occur each tick in your C2 project event sheets ?

-It doesn't matter. FPS drops occurs even on an empty project with no code in event sheets

Did you look at the number of objects being created while debugging ? Maybe some objects are not destroyed.

-Again, it can even be an empty project with no objects in it

Are you on Windows 7 and not using the Aero (graphic interface) ?

-Windows 10

• Wo... well I don't know...

You mean that an empty project have FPS drops under every browser, preview or export ?

I think you should try the same project on another computer to compare. Performance issues usually starts when updating too many objects every tick and reflect no optimization or mis configuration. Or at last a system specific problem, look at the graphic drivers, the audio codecs, try a clean install, etc...

You can post an example project if you want people to test it.

• Yes.

This is most likely something with my PC. ANY project has the same issue. It seems like it gets a bit more intense with more stuff in the project, but it's always there. And yes, if I take these projects from my PC onto my much slower laptop, there will be no issues. It will most likely be the same for every other device. And it's nothing like a performance drop, more like very short multipe feezes every few seconds, which are clearly visible even when fps drops by 2, because of the freeze. Drivers are updated, reinstalling doesn't help either. It's the same for every C2 version. Or at least from what I've tested. I've tried newest version, older, much older, and my regular use steam version. Same thing. Surely it's something with my PC, but I have absolutely no idea what could it be. Nothing else has this issue.

• I found that these type of drops simply comes from the host machines' related running applications or hardware.

1 I found a very common culprit; from the windows task manager, the Malware service executable.

These, and other processes that come up unexpected; when they are actually expected to run, often cause overall performance dips.

In combination with this, if your processor heats up, it can cause freezes too.

As a test, you could have another computer run your projects to see if your computer might be heating up or having some other sort of cpu intensive activity going on.

• Stable 15-20% CPU utilization at ~50C. The only thing I'm seeing here is the slight overclocking that I'm using, but could it really be the case?

• Suggestions:

Run the project with webgl turned off.

Try different architecture browser and or Construct (32bit vs 64bit).

Check your drivers:

Video

Chipset (motherboard)

Check your ram:

Dual channel

Same speed modules

Ram check for faults

Check for malware

Adaware

Malwarebytes

Check your windows event logger for potential problems.

(Application errors or system errors such as corrupt hard drive)

• Webgl doesn't change anything, same for 32 & 64bit C2 & browser. All drivers are updated. Ram (Dual channel DDR3 4x8GB) is perfectly fine, no faults detected. No malware detected either. Windows event logger doesn't show any useful errors.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Webgl doesn't change anything, same for 32 & 64bit C2 & browser. All drivers are updated. Ram (Dual channel DDR3 4x8GB) is perfectly fine, no faults detected. No malware detected either. Windows event logger doesn't show any useful errors.

Did you use the Intel® HD-Grafik 4600 from you i5 or do you have an extra dedicated graphic card?

The 4600 is blacklisted in Chrome.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)