Concerns with the Light/Shadow so far

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
professionally animations with Brashmonkey Spriter !
  • And here is a slightly more advanced example:

html: http://www.eli0s.com/Tests/Box/

capx:[attachment=0:1qc9oz29]ShadowHeightsAdv.capx[/attachment:1qc9oz29]

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • eli0s love your example!

• Thank you helena

• So... did someone managed to use more than 2 lights to work properly?

Cause this is just dumb.

• shinkan You have to use a WebGL effect to get it working close to how it should work, but I can't use WebGL for my project, so I've not bothered with the plugin really.

I doubt it will be sorted though. Still waiting for the SpriteFont to be updated to a more user-friendly state.

• AnD4D

Nope. Unfortunately this WebGL effect makes things even worse than on image I've posted.

I doubt it will be sorted though. Still waiting for the SpriteFont to be updated to a more user-friendly state.

Yeaah, I've already expressed myself about things like that in other post.

Ok then, time to get back to "Rojo's shadow Pater" - this at least works as one would expect.

• shinkan ,

I think that something happened in the latest versions of C2. I don't remember seeing this problem before, at least around the time that the lights-shadows system was introduced. I might be mistaken though. I haven't tried to revert back to version 170 to confirm it. As it is now though, unless you use 0 as height for the lights, you are due to have problems.

Here is a demo if anyone is interested checking out this problematic behavior.

http://www.eli0s.com/Tests/Lights&Shadows_Problem/

And here is the capx.

• eli0s

Not sure if it's the latest version or not, Did'n play with official shadow till now. But at this current time this "feature" is useless, unless your are using only one light for entire layout.

oh. and your demo link don't work.

• eli0s oh. and your demo link don't work.

What do you mean it doesn't work? It doesn't run at all? You get a 404 error?

I think that some countries block my site for some reason, now I am afraid I'll have to add Poland as one of them as well

There is a problem with Firefox, however that only persists of not showing the text objects. On Chrome it should play just fine.

The capx however should be fully functional.

• Capx works fine (the file not the content of it )

Just the website shows "This webpage is not available" in Chrome.

• Dammit!

Thanks for the clarification shinkan !

• I think that something happened in the latest versions of C2. I don't remember seeing this problem before, at least around the time that the lights-shadows system was introduced. I might be mistaken though.

The plugin has always had this limitation. So long as you have more than one light, you'll end up with incorrect shadows. This is because the plugin is a shadow caster, rather than a light caster. If one light casts a shadow onto another light, said light will be in shadow. Very strange, but so far sadly unusable for me.

• > I think that something happened in the latest versions of C2. I don't remember seeing this problem before, at least around the time that the lights-shadows system was introduced. I might be mistaken though.

>

The plugin has always had this limitation. So long as you have more than one light, you'll end up with incorrect shadows. This is because the plugin is a shadow caster, rather than a light caster. If one light casts a shadow onto another light, said light will be in shadow. Very strange, but so far sadly unusable for me.

What about this post from earlier in the thread? Doesn't that solve the issue? The new shader is already included.

• The plugin has always had this limitation. So long as you have more than one light, you'll end up with incorrect shadows. This is because the plugin is a shadow caster, rather than a light caster. If one light casts a shadow onto another light, said light will be in shadow. Very strange, but so far sadly unusable for me.

Oh, ok, then I hadn't noticed before since when I tried multiple lights I did it only with the Light Height set to 0 ("infinitely" long shadows). I too find it weird the way the light (shadow) is being cast and I hope for a more robust solution in the (near) future. I understand that box2d does have lightning capabilities build in, but I doubt that Ashley will implement them any time soon. As I read in response to requests on other topics, keeping the box2d features updated and functional for many exporters is difficult to maintain. I guess that that's an other drawback for not having native exporter.

What about this post from earlier in the thread? Doesn't that solve the issue? The new shader is already included.

Since the problem seems to be related with the shapes on the shadow's polygons, I don't see how this shader can resolve those artifacts...

• Just played around with the shadow object and wanted to add some feature requests. I don't think I saw these on here.

1) Falloff Distance. It would be great if the light object could have a distance set to where it no longer casts shadows on objects outside of that distance.

2) Directional Light. I would like a light to mimic light from the sun, so that all shadows go in the same direction.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)