CocoonJS, Intel, or crosswalk?

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
  • Essentially, What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Is one necessarily "better" to use than the others?

I have use cocoonJS in the past. Had good results with it. I'm aware it eventually was no longer supported, but recently has stepped things up with some major updates.

Having not played with the others,

Can I get some Pro's /Con's

Maybe an understanding of when to use, and when not to use one of the three?

Thanks.

• The only obvious CJS advantage for Android is that it is 2.3+ whereas Intel XDK/Crosswalk is 4+ so CJS can reach more devices.

It's probably better now with lazyload/memory management with their updated CJS plugin, but I haven't tried. Before, it was horrible for large C2 games because it loaded everything on startup, taking a very long time and a lot of memory.

I have no issue with XDK, in fact, its great, my games run very well and I use a lot of particles, webgl shaders and multi dynamic faction AI:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... lite&hl=en

I would have to admit with C2/XDK, its definitely the case now that one HTML5 code-base even for a complex PC game, can run very well on Android too. The mobile version of my game is identical to the PC/MAC version in texture quality, number of units, particles and effects. As an added bonus, it also works on x86 mobile devices!

**On iOS, definitely with the new and improved CJS with JIT support will be the way to go.

• What ever happened to WKWebView support for Phonegap? Wouldn't that make CJS pretty much irrelevant?

• What ever happened to WKWebView support for Phonegap? Wouldn't that make CJS pretty much irrelevant?

CJS also has WKWebView now, and it has features that work out of the box without requiring plugin configurations etc. Good as iOS 8 gains more marketshare.

• So the best option for IOS is CooconJS?

• Lots of good information. It is looking like CJS might be the way to go then.

More devices and similar performance as the other options is what I am reading.

Does cjs support iAds?

If not, no big deal I suppose.

Is construct 2 using the latest CJS plugin? It do I need to do something to get things working?

• Lots of good information. It is looking like CJS might be the way to go then.

More devices and similar performance as the other options is what I am reading.

Does cjs support iAds?

Is construct 2 using the latest CJS plugin? It do I need to do something to get things working?

You have to install the latest version of the plugin yourself, the signature of ludei should have the informations you need to know in case of issues. See here.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hello,

Sorry for the late response.

Does cjs support iAds?

Yes, it does. They are included in MoPub.

No, sorry, you have to update it after installing each C2 version, because the default version is really old. Remember to update the cocoonjs_prelude.js file in the html5 folder, because we updated it last week with important bug fixes regarding non canvas+ environments, as the new Webview+ for iOs.

Just in case, here is the link to the latest plugin:

https://github.com/ludei/Construct-2-plugin

In addition, I would like to remember that Webview+ does have DOM access. Canvas+ is for canvas based games, but Cocoonjs is not only Canvas+ anymore. Please, feel free to test our three environments (Canvas+, Webview+, System Webview) to see which one is more suitable for you game.

Regards.

• Hey Tylermon,

CJS has good performance on IOS. I tested one game on iOS Phonegap / Crosswalk and it seemed to have 80% of the performance of the CJS build. (before update).

Using CJS instead of Crosswalk on iOS

+ Little better performance but guess that depends on your project (and should disappear in the futured due to iOS8)

+ Multiple Ad network integration through mopub

• Longer loading times with Ludei Splash Screen
    • Mopub has horrible fillrates ~ 60% and mediation to other ad networks seems to not work well sometimes too. (I dont know if this is CJS error or mopub error)
    • CJS Plugin is officially deprecated and not recommended by Scirra
    • Somewhen Ludei needs to charge you for there service (crosswalk is open source)

Especially if you want to publish your games to wp8 and android somewhen too crosswalk is the better choise. It is supporting an admob plugin for all those platforms and admob can mediate to other ad networks as well, but haven't tested it.

CJS is not working on wp8 and has some pains on android (long loading times (splash screen), logo flickering, audio delay, a lot of permissions required...). You can not disable or deselect permissions you don't need so I guess they are used for intense and hidden user tracking.

IMHO: If you want to use CJS then:

• Use it for iOS builds only
    • Don't use C2 to build your game code
    • Expect charges in the future
    • Fear mopub issues if you want to monetize through ad banners
  • I don't plan to touch the windows marketplace. Been there done that and compared to ios and android it sucks.

Also there is no reason to fear mopub. I've used it perfectly fine in the past. Easily integrated my google ads with it. I wasn't aware it does iAds though. It's something I need to look into.

The worst part about these ad companies is initial registration. You probably get a good 2 months of crap service before you get actual ads. Took me forever to get my accounts made.

My main concern is performance, which is sounding about the same.

Why should cjs avoid android?

I have only ever tested ios, but is there some difficulty or issues with android? This is the first time I have heard of this, and if there is an issue or flaw I didn't know about this could determine which I use.

I guess I'm also curious which is easier to work with. Cjs or crosswalk. I have not touched the later. How are they different in use?

Thank you so much everyone for the feedback.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)