Chrome 33 + WebGL performance

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Original music compositions in the style of classic RPGs such as FFII-IV.
  • Not sure if this is the right thread or not, but I am having some issues now as well using v163.

Performance seems to have taken a small hit, in both Chrome and Node-Webkit, but the biggest issue is I don't think WebGL is working anymore. When I run my project in Chrome or Node-Webkit my effects do not work anymore. I have some brightness settings on some background objects, and they don't work now.

I just updated my nVidia drivers to latest, and my chrome is latest too (v33).

Has anyone else been seeing anything like this?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Just confirmed in the debug layout:

When running my project in Node-Webkit or Chrome it is using the Canvas2D for the renderer.

When I run in Firefox it uses WebGL. Effects work here and performance seems to be a little better too.

Is this a known issue? or happening to anyone else?

• I can confirm that my performance got much better with the recent update to Chrome. My recent game was struggling after I upgraded my video card to an AMD Radeon 7770 HD. FPS had dropped from a smooth 60 to 40-50. Now it's back up to 60, no problems.

• ArcadEd, Hmm? Weird that it gets faster for you but worse for others.

• I can only get canvas 2D on both chrome and Nodewebkit unless I use chrome://flags

which I have decided is not a good idea as I may not be getting a true picture of the end users experience...

Personally think going stable release on this chrome / node 32-33 build was a disaster

• Can't say if performance of my projects got better or worse, but I can confirm that Chrome 33 / Node Webkit works fine for me on R163. Run in webGL without any problems. And what I can see it works well for some others too. So I think we can assume it's not C2 / Chrome issue but rather users configurations. Maybe your Chrome /C2 was not properly installed or there are some conflicts with your current hardware.

But anyway issue is still there, and if maybe we could compare our specs we could then find what's causing that.

I'm using currently integrated Intel HD graphic card on my mainboard. #ignore-gpu-blacklist is off - did not changed any chrome flags.

• Arima - if those flags don't affect it I think it must be a different issue. The problem I'm talking about here is getting slow software-rendered WebGL instead of hardware-accelerated canvas2d. It sounds like Google have decided to blacklist your driver (the blacklists do change) for hardware acceleration in general.

lennaert - this thread pertains only to Chrome on Windows, so I think you must have a different issue.

Nardonicus - maybe Google blacklisted your driver's WebGL support so you're getting canvas2d. This is normal and occasionally happens to some users.

ArcadEd - can you confirm you now get canvas2d rendering instead of webgl?

It's difficult to test this and tell from the various reports here, but I believe our workaround for software-rendered WebGL is in fact working, and people are running in to unrelated driver blacklist issues.

• Ashley, I will check when I get home. I run C2 on 3 different computers and my home computer was the only one that had the issue, and it only cropped up when I installed a new video card (Radeon 7770 HD), my older Radeon (6570 I believe) was fine.

My other 2 systems, the problem never existed. Both are running Nvidia graphics cards.

• Yeah I had a user on steam that has a Radeon 7770 as well, and he's saying my game runs poorly with that card, despite it being a more powerful card than my computers!

• AUGH for crying out loud

Upon looking into it further, I discovered that the chrome team has decided to disable hardware acceleration for all systems running XP or vista. Reasoning:

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issu ... ?id=315199

"...the short answer is that we don't have a good way to reliably

ensure that these features work correctly on XP and Vista. We've had a

number of bad bugs that went to stable users without anyone realizing (i.e.

not in our testing nor from bug reports), and fixing those bugs is very

difficult because reproducing the relatively exotic hardware configurations

involved is next to impossible. Without that good testing / feedback loop,

ensuring we don't break Chrome is difficult enough that we're playing it

safe rather than risking it.

It's also worth noting that many (though not all) WinXP and Vista machines

are old enough that they don't really benefit from hardware acceleration

features. WebGL and Stage3D do, mostly, but we use the GPU for all pages on

Win7+ and all other Chrome platforms (well, except Linux, but that'll

happen soon). If we moved to that model on XP and Vista, we take a major

compatibility risk as explained above, for basically no gain -- on memory

bandwidth constrained devices there isn't much win here. The model we're

moving to architecturally requires that Chrome is in one bucket (all GPU

feature enabled) or another (all software). Hence, this blacklisting change."

Not just webgl, also flash, video decoding, whatever. All hardware acceleration is off on those OS's. >:(

There are quite a few users still on those platforms, including me. I guess our only option is to either use an earlier version of node webkit or run the game with the blacklist disabled, but if including the argument in the package.json doesn't work, then the only option left is to try to ensure that the player doesn't run the exe by itself, and has to run it from a modified shortcut.

Kinda frustrated.

• This is a vision of the future, no doubt...

So all our projects have a performance lifespan based on, when google decide you need to upgrade your O.S, or feel the need to blacklists your hardware drivers, whichever comes first...

How long before they drop support for older tablets and phones...

Welcome to canvas city...

• Yeah, that is disappointing. Guess I need to get rid of Vista and move on to 7.

Regarding the shortcut fix for node-webkit... It works, but I get a random freeze of a few seconds every so often. Anyone else have this problem that have tried Arima's shortcut solution?

• SeekerSK - I've gotten that too. I haven't tried tracking down the reason yet, but I'm guessing node webkit is set to too low a priority and other processes sometimes 'shove it out of the way.'

Even using what I suggested isn't a complete solution, anyway, as it won't work for people wanting to put a non-downloadable demo online, or make parts of a web page with html5.

Just... ARGH

• Yeah it sucks. But at least I can test things out with my gamepad for now until we figure out the problems. I'm going to look into upgrading to 7 this week and see if it solves the problems. I expect it will... but man that really limits the end user market.

• So is the conclusion that this latest node-webkit isn't worth using?

Performance seems to have taken a small hit, in both Chrome and Node-Webkit, but the biggest issue is I don't think WebGL is working anymore. When I run my project in Chrome or Node-Webkit my effects do not work anymore. I have some brightness settings on some background objects, and they don't work now.

I just updated my nVidia drivers to latest, and my chrome is latest too (v33).

Has anyone else been seeing anything like this?

Nardonicus, Which nVidia card are you using?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)