Chrome 64bits for Windows has been released.

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
  • Chrome 64 bits for Windows is released. (not the experimental build)

Check chromium blog here: http://blog.chromium.org/2014/08/64-bit ... 6.html?m=0

[quote:wh3irwbd] 64-bit Chrome offers many benefits for speed, stability and security. Our measurements have shown that the native 64-bit version of Chrome has improved speed on many of our graphics and media benchmarks. For example, the VP9 codec that’s used in High Definition YouTube videos shows a 15% improvement in decoding performance.

So what could this mean for us that use Chrome? There are a few questions on my head right now regarding C2 and Chrome 64 bits.

While the quote above mentioned graphics, it didn't specifically mention webgl or canvas2d. But could it mean that our games would run a bit faster? In fact, how fast? Or is the speed rather negligible?

Also, another interesting question to consider is, will NodeWebkit also have exported version of win64 bits implemented in the near future? There used to be a case where someone requests for 64 bits NodeWebkit here: https://github.com/rogerwang/node-webkit/issues/1320 but since 64 bits is now available - it should be only a matter of time for the node webkit folks to implement 64 bits node webkits on windows.

Glitches and incompatibilities are always the bread and butter of Software development. Perhaps maybe we should grab chrome 64 bits and try run some C2 games on it and see whether all those advertised qualities are really present (and see if some aforementioned quality is really significance) and also to see whether there is anything that needs addressing, whether it's on C2 side or Chrome side. So anybody wanna give it a try?

• OK, I have tried it. The version in my Chrome is now Version 37.0.2062.94 unknown-m (64-bit).

The space shooter example runs without any problem.

I have also tried my game for 40 minutes or so and it runs just fine. No problem.

Performance-wise, I don't see any difference.

• IMHO, chrome 64 bits is meant to work on 64 bits system the same way chrome 32 bits works on 32 bits system, what I meant by that is that there should not be any difference for the user apart from a better experience, that should be as compatible with C2 games as it was, I wouldsay no changes for us user of C2, and maybe no changes too for the C2 architecture itself, since it was meant to be clean and not rely on browser's incompatibilities and bug exploits.

Just my opinion.

• Yes. Theoretically and ideally, there should be no changes for users of C2, and no change in C2 too.

But you never know. All these deep down implementation sometimes have things that may not lock down together when some tiny change is made. Better to test stuff before taking things for granted.

• what I meant by that is that there should not be any difference for the user apart from a better experience

Exactly. The developer doesn't have to change anything in order for things to "just work" on 64-bits chrome.

However, it's important to realize that the benefits can be quite significant: 32-bits applications have a <4Gb memory ceiling (in practice <2Gb), which means having a ton of open tabs/windows will slow the browser to a crawl.

Games love to consume memory, and browser-game-players love keeping multiple tabs (with multiple games) open, so this change will mean better performance in practice.

I don't know whether this change affects Double's (the value type) precision, or if it will allow higher limits for graphics or AI processing, but it definitely makes 3D Web-GL in-browser games more viable than they were before.

• I haven't been able to measure any significant performance benefits in a few random C2 benchmarks. However it might help improve Javascript execution since now the JS engine is fully 64-bit as well. I haven't really stress tested the logic part of things, it might be interesting to test something like physics performance on 32 vs. 64 bit. It might be a bit faster but it is ultimately the same CPU so probably not a huge difference.

The main benefits I think are for memory use across the browser (lots of tabs can properly use all system memory instead of the bottom ~3 GB only), and security (more memory space to randomise across for sensitive things). Still, nice to have a 64 bit version of your games for free! It probably doesn't make a huge difference for node-webkit, where co-operating with other tabs and security concerns aren't so important.

64-bit Chrome on Windows is still a manual opt-in. Hopefully some time in future it will auto-update for everyone.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Benefits from 64bit processing generally comes from the computer CPU handling large amounts of data in a continuous stream... which is why they mention video as showing a benefit. If your work is being handled by the GPU rather than the CPU then you will not see much difference with that work... it also does not help much with processing individual smaller amounts of data like INT variables or simple strings of text.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)