The case for a Unity2D Exporter

0 favourites
  • Mammoth, your better off just having have the EventSheet system re-created in Unity.

This seems to basically do that: http://www.hutonggames.com/

• I'm a bit off topic, but I couldn't help myself but reacting to the assertion that GDevelop is a shameless rip of C2

I first created GDevelop when I wasn't aware of the existence of Construct (Classic), and both software evolved separately. Of course some objects and features are inspired from C2 (maybe also vice-versa, I don't know) But the event system was clearly invented without looking at Construct.

That's all (I hope my message won't be considered as spamming, as I'm the developer of GDevelop. Just wanted to make things clear!)

• Creating exporters for Unity is completely bonkers. Firstly it's not really technically possible - it faces the same challenges as writing a native engine (for example how do you make it be able to run all the existing Javascript code for plugins and behaviors without just using a browser engine?). Secondly you're tied in to Unity's licensing model, so if you want a pro feature like "Custom splash screen", that's $1500.

A better question is why is it even necessary? What does it do that browsers currently don't? And whatever the answer to that question is, surely the better thing to do is to improve the browsers instead of completely abandoning the entire existing engine?

• Agreed on ashley on that one, wtf, unity is a complete other engine, you might as well use it directly if you want it (no event system?, not a good reason for that topic I think, And, scirra's job is to maintain their products, not extend the one of others.)

• As a Unity programmer I can honestly say. It's not worth the effort to convert to. Unity 2D engine in my opinion is sub par to C2. Unity strength lies in it's vastly better work flow features. I may have made the suggestion once, but after getting my hands involved in both engines far more. yeah. C3 Unity, not the way to go.

Somebody

Thanks for the link. I have Playmaker, but I haven't used it at work. Playmaker is a similar Visual Programming, but I find C2 ES better balanced between coding and visual.

• scirra's job is to maintain their products, not extend the one of others.)

Exactly. The point i made earlier.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You could make an editor like C2 for Unity.

Maybe call it C4.

• You could make an editor like C2 for Unity.

Maybe call it C4.

Hehe

• Edit... Browser did t update the posts..

• I'm a bit off topic, but I couldn't help myself but reacting to the assertion that GDevelop is a shameless rip of C2

I first created GDevelop when I wasn't aware of the existence of Construct (Classic), and both software evolved separately. Of course some objects and features are inspired from C2 (maybe also vice-versa, I don't know) But the event system was clearly invented without looking at Construct.

That's all (I hope my message won't be considered as spamming, as I'm the developer of GDevelop. Just wanted to make things clear!)

Ok, sorry about my poor assumption 4ian You have a nice project happening there and I am a big supporter of all things open source. I am also hoping that you derive more "inspiration" from C2 for future features of GDevelop !

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)