The case for a 1 file HTML export

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
Source File, music and art pack for Android Negotiator
  • So I love the export features in C2. There always seems to be be more added everytime I come back here. From a logistics point of view I think that a 1 file exporter would be an option to consider for the future.

First of all, as silly as this sounds, it is much easier to load one file instead of many. I know you just have to drag the folder over, however if everything is packaged like a flash game, it looks and feels easier.

If there was a single file exporter we could also site lock it just like flash games. I know this isn't full proof but it would be a lot better than the current standard.

Unity also has a web player which for the most part is one file.

I know this is harder to accomplish than it sounds. Is there anyway to access web folders from a zip file on the internet?

What does everybody think?

• That's not how html5 works. And packaging it in some other fashion would require the user to download a plugin or something to read it properly.

So, sadly this won't work.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It's possible to export everything to a single HTML file using embedded data URIs for all the images and files, but I really don't think it's a good idea. It will probably make the load performance terrible: data URIs are bigger than a binary file, there will be no loading progress (just downloading a single humungous HTML file), and some mobile devices might even freeze or run out of memory since HTML isn't designed to be so large. Also I do know that the Chrome Web Store disallows scripts in the same HTML page (they have to be separate .js files), so it could cause further problems there.

TBH I don't think it would help protect your resources or make sitelocking any more secure - Chrome's developer tools can still get around that, and it's best to rely on existing features like Closure Compiler obfuscation on export.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)