what do you call a sprite sheet ready for importing?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Voice call plugin based on webrtc protocol for construct 3
  • When grabbing sprites from the web for testing purposes or what have you, the sprites are usually not in a "import friendly" manner. For example:

As you can see, the first line of sprites is 10 in number, whilst sitting above only 5 sprites beneath it. It is not ready to be imported. Then you have this:

Here we have an example of sprites in an "import friendly" arrangement. The previous sheet would take maybe hours of positioning and measuring out all the segments to ensure the proper sprites are in the proper place for importing into almost any game engine.

My question is this: what is it called when it is like the second picture, the "import friendly" style? I'm trying to google search for general placeholder sprites, and i hate wasting time organizing sprites that I will eventually toss out for my own later.

Also, is there software that can take the style of the first picture and organize it for you?

• "Properly formatted" I suppose. Check out Pyxel Edit - it's perfect for animating & formatting sheets like you want as it uses grid cels in place of animation frames.

• Upon importing a sheet, you will be asked how manny columns and how many rows.

These simply relate to the images from left to right, and how many of these rows below each other.

thus, you will have rows with the same amounts of images.

The value you use for the columns is the number of images used to split the total width of the sheet in. (images per row)

The value for rows is the amount used to split the total height of the sheet, automatically setting the height for all the images per row.

You can also simply do 1 row, with x amount of images, all up to you.

Simple ? no ... took me some too xD

best example showed me:

Make a square image, and place an image in each corner.

import sheet: 2 columns, 2 rows

each frame will be one of the corner images.

• Is there anything other than Pyxel Edit that is actually free? I don't mind the $9 but not before I try it, and I don't see a demo link.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Is there anything other than Pyxel Edit that is actually free? I don't mind the $9 but not before I try it, and I don't see a demo link.

graphicsgale is what I always use. Its free version is more than suitable for most pixel artwork, and it can output animations as a tilesheet.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)