C2 just for prototypes?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
A cool way for kids to write and practice English Alphabets
  • I've seen a lot of comments in the forums and other sites that C2 is just for prototypes. One example of this is the quote on the main site of scirra:

"I'm a designer and painter with a great passion for games. Construct 2's ease of use allows me to rapidly prototype my ideas and sketches.

"Carlos Monteiro, Gigoia Games

Is all of this true? If I want to make good games I need to use a programming language like c# or something?

I've been using C2 for like 6 months now and I dont have the feeling that I need something else.

I feel unsure now.

• Those are developers who already are fluent in at least one programming language. For those, it is better to prototype a game in C2 first to see if their idea is good, then they develop it in a native environment for the performance and security.

That doesn't mean C2 cannot be used to release games.

• Lots of people do use C2 for prototyping since you can mock up game ideas really quickly, but we aim to design C2 to be capable of publishing professional quality games by itself. It's not just for prototyping!

• I don't read the sentence in that way at all! The whole point of prototyping is that you can quickly decide whether your game is viable, or more importantly FUN! Construct 2 allows you to discover this in a matter of minutes. If I have an idea, I will prototype the game in C2. I just use boxes or arrows for characters. You then start fleshing out the idea, replace the prototype sprites with detailed images, and add in the other code.

Construct 2 is already a complete package. It just gets better and better as time goes on.

• I am using C2 to prototype with at the moment, I have been creating commercial casual and indie games in other languages for quite a few years things such as pascal, c#, monkey, objective c to name a few.

It is great to be able to put together a working game in a few hours and see if your idea clicks or not, this is when I would go back to my language of choice and create the game, but as C2 adds more and more features I hope to get to the point where I will just create the game in C2 and never look back, maybe it's because I'm too used to having low level access to many things but when I think of a feature that needs access to lets say the stencil buffer it is quicker for me to do it in c# than hack a way of doing it in C2.

But as I said I love C2 and hope to use it soon for actual games as some of the example projects and works in progress you see on the forums are very inspirational.

• Ty guys. I want to be a great game developer. All those posts about C2 for prototypes made me feel like im a "fake" game developer.

• I use C2 for prototyping and I love it for its speed. Recently I've been trying to make a full game on it and it's holding up pretty well but I don't think C2 is quite ready yet. It's very much lacking in audio functionality, I don't think anyone can compete aesthetically with other games purely because of this technical limitation.

But - it's awesome, look at Mortar Melon, that's as polished and slick as any game of its kind could be.

• But - it's awesome, look at Mortar Melon, that's as polished and slick as any game of its kind could be.

Exactly, anyone who thinks using C2 makes them a fake developer should mention this game to them its great and a testament to what can be done with C2.

• Ty guys. I want to be a great game developer. All those posts about C2 for prototypes made me feel like im a "fake" game developer.

So only fake developers do prototypes???

All great developers - of any software, in any language - make prototypes. In fact, if you don't do prototypes, you're probably not a great developer.

• I'm glad to hear Scirra's dedication to making their software capable for a full-scale game!

The issue of 'fake developer' is interesting to bring up though. I wonder if, were a C2 game to become popular, it would not be seen as highly as a game made in a more low-level engine. C2 is so good that it almost feels like 'cheating' to make a very good game in the software - would other developers feel 'cheated'?

This also brings up a question which I have not been able to answer honestly - does a C2 game deserve as much respect as the same game made from scratch?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • ...This also brings up a question which I have not been able to answer honestly - does a C2 game deserve as much respect as the same game made from scratch?

Does games made in Unreal Engine, Unity... deserve same thing?

• An engine does not a great game make. A game earns respect for it's overall design. I hold flash games that are fun to play in the same level of respect as AAA titles (that are fun to play).

There will be people who will think less of a game based on the engine it uses, but then again there are people who would complain if you gave them $10.

• Just think of the engine, be in Unity, XNA or C2, as a tool, everyone can use tools, but not everyone can make something with them.

UDK is a good example to bring up, as that is almost entirely scripted, sure the scripts can get complicated and doing some things in it are harder than others but it's a script none the less, much like events and behaviours in C2 so if someone thinks a great game made in UDK is great while a great game made in C2 is not, they are just being snobby.

• I wonder if, were a C2 game to become popular, it would not be seen as highly as a game made in a more low-level engine.

I don't think the game players would care what language the game was written in, as long as it was fun and played well, which is one reason I hope for better and better export options, cocoon is working well for iOS games but I have only tested some simple prototypes I wonder how it would handle a larger game?

But no the end user only see's the game they dont know or care if it took 1 guy 2 weeks to make or 10 guys 10 months.

• check this game in windows store developed using C2 , apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/mortar-melon/a3f3335d-5fd4-455e-9052-ab6a016cea4b it's in top 20 free games , which means C2 is capable of making full fledged **successful** games , it's just the matter of how you conceptualize, design and develop. Although C2 has some limitations in terms of 3D, Multi-channel Audio, etc , it's still a very capable tool in it's class ;) and has it's own advantages.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)