C2 Any Export Broken

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
A cool way for kids to write and practice English Alphabets
  • I solved the problem on my own but still decided to write about it.

Preview worked flawlessly in any browser but export crashed every time. Happened after r187. Thought I've lost another big project but came to mind - What if I start deleting stuff? I started with huge chunks like completely removing plugins, behaviors, effects, sounds, music... when I deleted most of the sprites, C2 suddenly exported the whole project without a hitch! After deleting smaller numbers of sprites I found one defective sprite. Fun thing it's not defective at all - nicely proportioned 512x1024 sprite without any behaviors or effects at all. After removing a few pixels by cropping my project can freely export again!

I just wonder what could it be?

I knew I couldn't post this topic in bugs section because you need a small capx replicating the problem. Problem is - every other project works fine. And all platforms affected - I tried all exports.

I posted this topic in thoughts it may actually give Scirra team some possibly valuable info so they could further improve Construct2. And it could help some users who have problems with some particular platforms.

To users: this is probably another reason why it's better to use only power of two textures! I made a huge mistake using non power of two animations for most sprites!

• I encountered a very similair problem a few days ago. I created a 1x1 sprite with a bullet behaviour, just to test something out. In preview the project worked fine but while exporting the project I received an unknown error.

Just by trail and error and checking older builds I found out that the cause was the sprite. I resized the sprite and that solved the problem.

Have not had the time to replicate the 'bug' in a new project, but was planning to do so this weekend and post it.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I had this problem after creating some 1x1 sprites in the C2 editor. Resizing them to 2x2 seems to have fixed it.

• If you have problems please file a bug report and provide all the information requested by the guidelines. It is usually impossible for us to investigate any reports without that, so as this post stands, nothing will be done or even looked at.

BTW it's actually best to use just under a power-of-two size for Sprites - since spritesheeting on export assembles everything on to a power-of-two texture with 1px border padding around it, then the ideal size is two pixels less than a power of two size (e.g. 30x30, 62x62, 126x126...). In fact I would just ignore the size and let spritesheeting do its thing.

• [quote:35xrptqb]BTW it's actually best to use just under a power-of-two size for Sprites - since spritesheeting on export assembles everything on to a power-of-two texture with 1px border padding around it, then the ideal size is two pixels less than a power of two size (e.g. 30x30, 62x62, 126x126...). In fact I would just ignore the size and let spritesheeting do its thing.

Ashley Thanks for the tip.

• Ashley, there were no bug reports at all, just crashes. I didn't make any posts in Bugs section because the problem was impossible to reproduce in a new project.

Btw yeah, thanks for the tip!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)