App Development

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
You can become a REAL game developer. Learn the basics and get resources that will let you get profits from your game!
  • I am looking to make a property app for mobile devices (pretty much a real estate app) can this be done with Construct 2?

If so, how would I manage my UI elements to support multiple screen devices?

My UI has all the generic things, hamburger menu, snackbar for bread crumb trail, etc. I want elements to animate like expanding and sliding menus. I haven't developed something like this in Construct 2 before as most of my projects have been for games. Just wondering if anyone has used Construct 2 for this kind of thing and what would be your approach to support multiple screen resolutions for mobile devices, would you design your UI at a set resolution?

Thanks.

• 16x9, fullscreen, scale outer.

• I am looking to make a property app for mobile devices (pretty much a real estate app) can this be done with Construct 2?

If so, how would I manage my UI elements to support multiple screen devices?

My UI has all the generic things, hamburger menu, snackbar for bread crumb trail, etc. I want elements to animate like expanding and sliding menus. I haven't developed something like this in Construct 2 before as most of my projects have been for games. Just wondering if anyone has used Construct 2 for this kind of thing and what would be your approach to support multiple screen resolutions for mobile devices, would you design your UI at a set resolution?

Thanks.

I'd be interested in how you get on. I was think of doing something captured data as well.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Well I have bought the Ultimate Login System from the Construct 2 Marketplace. I am currently designing my UI in Photoshop but I was really struggling on a base resolution to start creating my UI and also a base resolution to start my project at that will be suitable for all mobile devices.

I'll post back here though as I progress

I'll probably post back to ask for some help too haha

I have started my app project at 1280 x 720 in portrait mode. I am also setting my canvas size in Photoshop at this resolution as well so I can start creating my graphics.

• When you say 16:9 and fullscreen do you mean any 16:9 aspect ratio like 1280 x 720?

The scale outer method, does this show the hidden parts of the canvas, would I need some sort of 'safe zone' on my layout and I could center most of my objects within that safe zone?

The only thing slowing me down on this right now is what canvas size I need, and what size canvas I should be creating my graphics at.

• Yes, that is a pretty standard size. You should pick a size that you can develop for.

If you have a bunch of 32x32 tiles that might not work very well, etc.

Scale outer makes sure that there are no black bars horizontally.

It works best for portrait mode on non 16x9 resolutions.

• Ok, I will design my graphics at a 1280 x 720 resolution and use those settings.

• If you want to learn more about responsive game design using a safezone, I'd like to plug you THIS tutorial by Toby R.

If you want to do things without a safezone and dependent on viewport calculations + anchoring.

I've explained a mobile developer how that would work HERE, you could adapt that method to any of your projects.

• Thanks for the info These options seem very straight forward but what if you run in to the problem of let's say having a top menu bar with an icon in that menu bar in the near left hand corner of the screen. If I place that icon in the near left hand corner then it will show on the big screen devices but not on the small screen devices. How do you work around that?

Thanks again for the articles too!

• The safezone option does seem to work nicely. I've found a tutorial about it here from another Construct 2 user scirra.com/tutorials/1126/m ... le-devices.

Looking at his screen shots even on the big screen devices it still looks great. My only issue is for an app that needs specific sizes, viewport calculations and anchoring seems to be the way to go but I would have no idea about how to do all that, I am still relatively new to Construct 2 and mobile development.

• Thanks for the info TheRealDannyyy. These options seem very straight forward but what if you run in to the problem of let's say having a top menu bar with an icon in that menu bar in the near left hand corner of the screen. If I place that icon in the near left hand corner then it will show on the big screen devices but not on the small screen devices. How do you work around that? ...

I would use the Anchor Behavior for that.

Everything you need to know about the use of that is explained very well and better than I could ever do it there.

The safezone option does seem to work nicely. I've found a tutorial about it here from another Construct 2 user https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/1126/m ... le-devices.

Looking at his screen shots even on the big screen devices it still looks great. My only issue is for an app that needs specific sizes, viewport calculations and anchoring seems to be the way to go but I would have no idea about how to do all that, I am still relatively new to Construct 2 and mobile development.

Viewport calculations are not required if you don't plan to do custom position based aligning of sprites.

Let me explain that, if you would use the LiteTween plugin to position a sprite from the middle to the upper-left corner.

The way I would do something like that, would be like this:

1. Set the following actions for the X and Y coordinates of the sprite (center sprite):

ViewportLeft("Layer") + ViewportRight("Layer") / 2 | ViewportTop("Layer") + ViewportBottom("Layer") / 2

2. Set LiteTween targets for the X and Y coordinates of the sprite:

ViewportLeft("Layer") + 50 //50px from the left edge | ViewportTop("Layer") + 50 //50px from the top edge

3. Start the LiteTween animation

So generally the anchor plugin will satisfy all your needs and viewport calculations are for more advanced things.

Ashley wrote THIS golden tutorial a while back, page 2 should be more interesting to you. The best way to learn responsive game design is to test out all the things by yourself. It's like learning to play the guitar, you could read books for months or even years on how to play it well but personal experience is still the best way to learn and master it.

Important: If you use viewport calculations on devices which can actively resize the game canvas or change screensize modes, re-calculate all the positions!

So instead of settings all viewport actions "On Start Of Layout", make a function and call them whenever you need them.

• I have been looking at the AJAX object as well and I am wondering if there is any good tutorials or even anything I can read up on about how to work on a login/signup system for my mobile application.

I have web space and all the tools in my CPanel for mySQL database etc.

• I have been looking at the AJAX object as well and I am wondering if there is any good tutorials or even anything I can read up on about how to work on a login/signup system for my mobile application.

I have web space and all the tools in my CPanel for mySQL database etc.

I don't know much about Ajax sorry, I'd recommend a post in the "How Do I" section for this specific topic.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)