Does anyone have a copy or a link to the better documentation?

0 favourites
  • 14 posts
  • So, i know construct 2 has lost support, but I still like it. I'm curious if there's a way to access the manual or documentation you would normally see when you click the blue text inside the engine. For example, when dealing with expressions, there was some blue text that says "Help on Expressions". Every time I click it now, it takes me to the site to get construct 3 and the online manual has been watered down; Why? no clue.

Any help would be great.

• The Construct 2 manual is still available online here.

• The Construct 2 manual is still available online here.

I must be going nuts or maybe it's been a while. Wasn't there another one, that was way more comprehensive and listed every, for example, expression in construct 2? Also broke it down with a explanation for those expressions?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It's all there in the reference section. There's no more comprehensive source of documentation than the manual!

• It's all there in the reference section. There's no more comprehensive source of documentation than the manual!

Honestly, I swear I'm not trying to troll or be difficult. However, when your on this page:

construct.net/en/construct-2/manuals/construct-2/system-object-reference

and click on "System Expressions", it just takes you to the main page. Alot of the links in that online manual do the same thing so I'm a little confused. My apologies if this seems frustrating.

• Hmm, I think some of the content links are dead... but if you use the left navigation it works, which takes you here: https://www.construct.net/en/construct-2/manuals/construct-2/system-object-reference/system-expressions

• Hmm, I think some of the content links are dead... but if you use the left navigation it works, which takes you here: https://www.construct.net/en/construct-2/manuals/construct-2/system-object-reference/system-expressions

Oh my goodie goodness YES! There we go, yeah, I have no clue how you did it. I tried the left navigation but yeah, same problem. Still, thank you very much for your patience, I swear I'm not trying to be trouble. Is there anyway to download the manual?

I ask for your patience for a little longer, but I have an awkward question to ask. Have conditions flipped in construct 2?

I have some code and I can't help but feel its not working right.

it runs along the lines of:

If Global Variable "Apple" is NOT equal to "Hold", then start Timer "Fall".

The Global Variable "Apple" starts off as equal to "Hold". This means, the above code should not work. However, once I change it to say "Snap", the code should then proc.

The thing is, I don't know if its a bug or what but right now construct 2 is not working that way. Right now, the variable is "Hold" and it procs but when i flip the script, it does not work.

I'm not a pro, but again, I can't help but feel its not right.

Here's a picture to better illustrate.

snipboard.io/Jlftxk.jpg

• > Hmm, I think some of the content links are dead... but if you use the left navigation it works, which takes you here: https://www.construct.net/en/construct-2/manuals/construct-2/system-object-reference/system-expressions

I ask for your patience for a little longer, but I have an awkward question to ask. Have conditions flipped in construct 2?

I have some code and I can't help but feel its not working right.

it runs along the lines of:

If Global Variable "Apple" is NOT equal to "Hold", then start Timer "Fall".

The Global Variable "Apple" starts off as equal to "Hold". This means, the above code should not work. However, once I change it to say "Snap", the code should then proc.

The thing is, I don't know if its a bug or what but right now construct 2 is not working that way. Right now, the variable is "Hold" and it procs but when i flip the script, it does not work.

I'm not a pro, but again, I can't help but feel its not right.

Here's a picture to better illustrate.

https://snipboard.io/Jlftxk.jpg

I think the issue is with your event 4:

As long as that condition is true it will keep starting the Timers so it will never trigger because you keep resetting both Timers.

One way to avoid that is to add to that condition a System "Trigger Once" so it only runs once when is true.

Also, are you sure that you need that timer to run Regularly? As it will never stop, it will keep triggering every "Your Target" second. Though if you need it that way then is all good, but if not then change it to "Type = Once".

• > > Hmm, I think some of the content links are dead... but if you use the left navigation it works, which takes you here: https://www.construct.net/en/construct-2/manuals/construct-2/system-object-reference/system-expressions

>

>

> I ask for your patience for a little longer, but I have an awkward question to ask. Have conditions flipped in construct 2?

>

> I have some code and I can't help but feel its not working right.

>

> it runs along the lines of:

>

> If Global Variable "Apple" is NOT equal to "Hold", then start Timer "Fall".

>

> The Global Variable "Apple" starts off as equal to "Hold". This means, the above code should not work. However, once I change it to say "Snap", the code should then proc.

>

> The thing is, I don't know if its a bug or what but right now construct 2 is not working that way. Right now, the variable is "Hold" and it procs but when i flip the script, it does not work.

>

> I'm not a pro, but again, I can't help but feel its not right.

>

> Here's a picture to better illustrate.

> snipboard.io/Jlftxk.jpg

I think the issue is with your event 4:

As long as that condition is true it will keep starting the Timers so it will never trigger because you keep resetting both Timers.

One way to avoid that is to add to that condition a System "Trigger Once" so it only runs once when is true.

Also, are you sure that you need that timer to run Regularly? As it will never stop, it will keep triggering every "Your Target" second. Though if you need it that way then is all good, but if not then change it to "Type = Once".

So funny thing, I did some experimentation. Under that same condition, i set it so that it destroys an object when triggered. It worked without a hitch. However, the timer works backwards. To illustrate, I guess set it up like this:

IF Global Variable Apple is NOT "Still", then start timer and destroy a square

Again, the Variable Apple is loaded as "Still". When I change it to "Fall", the half the code works, that is the square ( a random one I made) is destroyed but the timer is not triggered. It's not till I change it back to "Still" that the timer starts working. Also, the reason I set the timer to "Regular" is so that as long as the statement is true, it loops. I couldn't get it to loop otherwise.

Also, to clarify, the above is an example of what I was doing. Its a bit strange that the timers work backward. I tried it in a naked project and same thing.

• Honestly, I'm totally lost as I'm not sure what are you trying to do or what is the issue as is so many mixes of comments, etc...

A few tips so they can help you quickly in the future:

1-Post if possible a minimum project with just the code for those events that are not working so they dont have to go through walls of code.

2-Explain in sort why is not working.

3-Explain in sort what is your expected result.

This way it will make it easier for the user that will try to help you and your issue will resolve much quicker.

• Honestly, I'm totally lost as I'm not sure what are you trying to do or what is the issue as is so many mixes of comments, etc...

A few tips so they can help you quickly in the future:

1-Post if possible a minimum project with just the code for those events that are not working so they dont have to go through walls of code.

2-Explain in sort why is not working.

3-Explain in sort what is your expected result.

This way it will make it easier for the user that will try to help you and your issue will resolve much quicker.

That is completely fair and I'm sorry, I'm a bit spastic. I could try to summarise it in three sentences? I think I can do that or just make a new thread. Also, how do you post a project? I just realized I never looked into that. Do I have to use drop box?

• That is completely fair and I'm sorry, I'm a bit spastic. I could try to summarise it in three sentences? I think I can do that or just make a new thread. Also, how do you post a project? I just realized I never looked into that. Do I have to use drop box?

No worries, just trying to make your life simpler.

If you want to do some training you could fill in some bugs on C3 Github to see what is like You will will be a Master in no time))

I could try to summarise it in three sentences? I think I can do that or just make a new thread

Even with "summarise" the thread can end up 3 pages long lol so the best thing is to open a new thread, also by doing that someone else with the same issue can find your thread because the title will match that specific issue so many more users can benefit.

how do you post a project? I just realized I never looked into that. Do I have to use drop box?

Yes, Dropbox, Onedrive, Googledrive etc...

Upload it in any of those and they will give a link so you can share it here.

• > That is completely fair and I'm sorry, I'm a bit spastic. I could try to summarise it in three sentences? I think I can do that or just make a new thread. Also, how do you post a project? I just realized I never looked into that. Do I have to use drop box?

No worries, just trying to make your life simpler.

If you want to do some training you could fill in some bugs on C3 Github to see what is like You will will be a Master in no time))

> I could try to summarise it in three sentences? I think I can do that or just make a new thread

>

Even with "summarise" the thread can end up 3 pages long lol so the best thing is to open a new thread, also by doing that someone else with the same issue can find your thread because the title will match that specific issue so many more users can benefit.

> how do you post a project? I just realized I never looked into that. Do I have to use drop box?

Yes, Dropbox, Onedrive, Googledrive etc...

Upload it in any of those and they will give a link so you can share it here.

I will definitely take your advice to heart. Thanks again for your patience.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)