What I am selling: the game or the capx?

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
Rotate & Animation for 16 Direction & Mouse Direction
  • I am negotiating to produce 20 small games per U$ 20 each and this is the opportunity to buy a copy of the Construct2 (by the way, I will buy it anyway). Forget the value. They are simple games and the client intends to produce more later. The problem is that he also wants to receive the source code and I think it's not fair.

I think the CAPX is the same the FLA file and I never sold the FLA file with the SWF file. The correct is to negotiate it a part once it could be replicated to create new games later, but he does not to negotiate it. Am I wrong?

The problem is that he will cancel the project if I do not agree to deliver the source code.

What do you think about it guys?

• Honestly? I think, for that price, he should forget about the source code and just be happy that someone is willing to do the work at all. I think it'd be a pretty bad deal for you to include source code at that price.. but if you do, at least retain the right to be able to sell/use the game code you've made elsewhere and not give up exclusive rights to it.

Also, I believe you should get the C2 license if you intend to sell anything.

• First of all ...... wow, that's really cheap for a game. I wouldn't even reply one email for that price, let alone make a game.

How many hours do you intend to spend on those games, per game? Do you have to provide code assets/graphics, sound, everything, or do they provide the assets?

I would suggest raise the price if he wants the source code. At least add another $100 per game if he wants the source code. (depending on how long you are intended to spend on each game) If it boils down to a decent hourly rate I would say it's fine (for small simple games)

On a side note: (But that's just my personal view) I don't know where you're from, but if someone offered me $20 for a game I would tell him/her to go f*** himself, and It's an insult to anyone working in the industry doing a game cheap, and expecting source code.

EDIT: Also depends if you're selling exclusive rights to the game, or if you still have the right to sell the same game to someone else?

• They are really small. I think I can produce 3 or 4 games per day. I know that this price is to low, but as I said, he intend to request more games (maybe 200 in total). But my question is more embracing: are you deliver the CAPX if the client requested that or do you negotiate it aside? Or it still depends on the project's value?

• I think it's ultimately up to you...

Are you expected to maintain and bug-fix the games you produce? Then don't give capx.

If they own the game, and will update and bug fix them selves, then you can sell the capx.

By selling the capx, you can lose business also. They can use the capx to make new versions or reskins of the games.

By selling the capx, you could lose extra work, to maintain and update games.

So it depends on you. If you provide the games according to brief, and selling the exclusive rights, and they will maintain them... yes you can sell the capx. But that could be good for you if you just want to deliver, get payed and don't want anything to do with the game later.

So yes it's up to you.

• If I would develop a program or game to a company and they own the rights for the game after I sold it, then of course I would provide the source code.

But this case does not really feel like any "professional deal"..? You shall build four games every day? In total 200 games? What is "a game"?

Only to create some sprites, a background, some sound clips and basic events I would say a day at least.

Just to start estimating I would say one day

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • If you think you can make 3-4 games a day and you are happy with the 20$, why would you care about giving him the source code as well, it would make no difference anyway.

Consider this, if you can produce that many games a day, they have to be fairly simple even if you are good at C2. So regardless of how you put it, the source code have no value, since you could either recreate the games fairly easy again yourself, but it also means that the majority of people here, could also recreate them anyway. So this person can't sell the source code to anyone anyway or at least not for the amount of money that you would have to care about it, I think.

So if you are happy with the 20$ per game and think you can make 3-4 a day give him the source code as well

• What would be a good price to sell a CAPX? I know that depends on the complexity of the game, but I think we could estimate a percent, for example 5 times more or 50% more, etc.

• "What would be a good price to sell a CAPX?"

To pay five times more for a game developed in two hours.. no

A full game developed in two hours isn't much of a game... as someone above stated, such a capx can be reproduced by anyone I would guess.

• Take it from me the guy is robbing you blind. The reason he wants the source code is because he is planning to sell the source code to another developers on places like

https://codecanyon.net/category/html5/games

http://www.marketjs.com/

https://robowhale.com/

Trust me unless your hard up for cash don't do it. Sell your games on these stores instead.

• Can you describe a small game you'd make for 20$? Also, you should answer the question about asset making (do you have to make them, or are they provided). I'm not trying to steal your work or anything, but we can tell you more solid things if we can get a grasp about how complex these game would be.

Personally for 20$, I'd make a very simple game with minimal logic. And they could forget the .capx for that price. Just as tunepunk said, that's an insult. People who don't understand how software development works can easily offer way less money than they should. These people expect everything to come cheap and easy. I've had my fair share with customers like yours and my advices are:

• Expect a lot more work than you'd think now.
    • Expect a lot of problems with the game.
    • Expect that the customer will complain.

Unfortunately it's never as easy as just making the game (or app or website, etc.) and being done with it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)