Am i programmer?

0 favourites
  • 15 posts
  • Some my friends asked me what i am doing in my free time, i said i am making a games. And the said ohh so you are programmer.

Well what should i answer if they asked what language i am using. I feel a bit stupid.

• You're HTML5+JS expert.

• Game designer

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You are using CEPS (Construct 2 Event Programing System)

Don't worry, show them some cool games you are making with

and nothing more counts. And even if C2 is not a "real" programming

language, it can be a step on the way to get a programmer, because

it teaches you many basic stuff (like variables, loops, conditions)

and to think about game logic and design.

After you feel comfortable with C2, you can start learning a

programming language like JavaScript or Python, which are

good for beginners, too.

• thanks Chupup Games, Best answer.

• It's every bit programming as other languages, but instead of typing raw code you use short cuts via events & conditions.

It requires the same logical thinking IMO.

• Yes, you are a programmer. A damn smart one if you use a language that gets the same results in a more efficient and faster way.

That's right. If you code in C++ or you code in C2. If the end result is the same game, which language is better? The one that saved you weeks or even months of time programming. There's nothing even remotely negative about using Construct 2.

But that's just my biased experience. I come up with crazy ideas and there is always somehow a way to add them in C2. I'm sure some of you mobile developers will disagree that there's nothing negative about C2. But to any complaints or struggles I can't help but think: would the problem have been any easier to solve in another language from scratch?

• Your a "Game Developer".

I wouldn't really call this programming, unless you consider it as (very) high level abstraction programming. You need to know some programming concepts but there is a lot of "magic" here.

• Maybe it's better to describe it as scripting, as you aren't doing the core engine code, but are working with a form of "pseudocode" to manage the game logic/mechanics. So in a way, it's part of programming, but not quite the same as programming in a literal "programming language" or at the engine level.

Game developer works too to say that in a shorter way (they design how the game should play/feel, and often in a team will get an engine programmer who enables them to do that, although programs like UDK, Unity, Source, CryEngine, etc are enabling much more game development without an engine programmer now)

• The term programmer is not definitive as writing lines of text coding. Programming comes in many forms including visual programming such as PLC ladder logic. Unfortunately many programmers tend to think programming as soley the domain of text coding. Which is not the case.

Yes you are a programming and the only language you know is Construct 2 Visual Programming Language or C2ESVPL or I like C2ES.

As others have said though. Game developer would would serve you as a better term when talking about it with most other programmers.

• I was about to reply but jayderyu said what I wanted to say.

Programming is to give the computer a set of instructions it can execute. (that's the basic meaning of "program", read some old books on computer from 70's )

We can do that with the events, so yes you are a programmer.

But a "coder" on other matter... Sometimes I feel I want something to replace "coding"... Sometimes I say "Eventing"

• You're a programmer, but be specific about what type you are so they can understand should they have an interest in your knowledge.

• summed this up very nicely.

jbr190 ... ... your argument is flawed. Just because you are using code to make your game, doesn't mean you have to make everything ground up. .. and what, you think you are smarter than the guys who made fez, aquaria, starbound, super meat boy, spelunky, dustforce, and braid? The only game in that list that you can make in construct without coding is... ... ... none of them, you can get close, and make less polished approximations.. . Also, the only time event scripting is faster than straight up programming the SAME exact thing is when a non-classical-coder-programmer tries to compare the two and concludes event sheets are faster. Don't get me wrong, I'm a visual kind of guy and prefer event sheets, but I won't try and say they are faster. As to this statement: "I come up with crazy ideas and there is always somehow a way to add them in C2." I can safely say you may think your ideas are crazy, but they aren't pushing any envelopes (mechanically speaking)... No offense, but construct 2 is only good at implementing typical games (mechanically speaking) unless you delve into the sdk (traditional code!). There is no way, for one thing, you could get anywhere close to adding collision detection and resolution for a physics system using events sheets. That would end up like a redstone computer in minecraft, lol.

And behind all of what you do in construct is an amazing programmer in a traditional code environment. You can just as easily stand on the shoulders of giants regardless of whether you choose to program in visual event editors or traditional code. But currently, in general, the coding environment usually affords more power and flexibility. Once you know it inside and out, it's faster too. In the end, I like event sheets because I can stay focused easier and don't get lost in a sea of text, but they still are weaker. That may change. I am sure someday we will have a grand visual coder with all the power of lower level languages... but the advantages of an event sheet. anyway...

• I am pretty sure I'm coding when I do a long multi-branching chain of If & If Else & Else, calling in functions and doing complex state machines for AI or plenty of other checks using raw code/maths.

Only difference is its a heck of a lot faster than typing that out manually in raw java or C++, which I also did before so I know how awesome C2 is in time saving.

Work harder sure, but also work smarter.

• I wouldn't get so hung up on meaningless labels. Programmer also sounds a bit odd since typically when somebody says, "I'm a programmer" it is in response to the question, "What do you do for a living?". Additionally, if you're talking with people in the tech industry, 99% of the time, the follow-up question is going to be, "What language do you use?".

This may help answer your question (HINT: it's on the welcome page of Scirra)

Perhaps "Game developer" is a more suitable title.

It really depends on what you're trying to get out of the system. If your ultimate goal is to "learn how to program" then you should probably study a more traditional industry standard like Javascript, C++, C#, etc. If your ultimate goal is just to make great games, then yeah, stick with Construct.

At the end of the day, it's the final result that matters. Game reviewers don't usually take the programming language into account when reviewing a game.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)