How to access Web Storage from another engine?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Basic Plugins for Firebase Authentication, Realtime-Database, Firestore, Cloud Storage
  • Hello, I was promoting Construct 2 to some colleagues from my university when someone came up with the following question:

"Let's say I published a game on the App Store using Construct 2 as a prototype and then I want to migrate it in a future update to Unity, how could I keep the scores of the players? There is a way to access the Web Storage using Unity? "

And I'm here to pass forward this question because I'm not sure what could be done in this case.

Ashley , what can be done? Anyone?

Thanks!

• Wouldn't it make more sense just to read the saved data then re-save as json or some other method?

• Check yourself, make a demo with a local storage keypair.

In Chrome open developer tools, look for the local storage under resources.

As far a other platforms go, it depends on the conversion.

Kind of what Ashley is getting at with the latest blog post:

https://www.scirra.com/blog

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Well considering the situation, what would be the most viable way to save the score, so that you could access it by another engine?

Json is a solution? What else?

Thanks zenox98 and newt !

• It sounds like a pretty exotic question - I don't know many people who would re-write the entire game compatibly in a different engine later on, since that's double the amount of work (why not make two games?) Still, the easiest solution is to store everything on a server backend and have both versions communicate with that. In the browser you could possibly share local storage, but if you're switching from a hybrid to a native app, I don't think there's any way to preserve locally saved data.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)