16x9 aspect ration for mobile

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
A simple fun and stylish endless scroller game ready to be customized and published.
  • After reading all the posts I can find about supporting multiple screen sizes I'm about to give up.

I'm trying to figure out how I can make my 16x9 (1920x1080) app fit multiple screens.

Currently I'm only looking at iOS and have iPhone 5 and the new iPad for testing, so both have retina display.

I think I have tried all settings but usually it will scale perfectly on one device but not the other.

Do I need to put something into the EventSheet to make this work?

Should I design my game in other aspect ratio?

• Ye, I read it. Got the 16x9 aspect ratio idea from there.

But still having issues with it.

I have the project setup in 1080x1920 portrait, it's OK in my iPhone but scaling to small on the iPad.

• eski You may want to try:

1. 16:9, Scale Inner scaling, set window size to 1600x900(landscape), make sure to keep a border of space where you want elements to appear on smaller screens

2. 16:9, Scale Outer (I think), set window size to 800x400(landscape), set your layout size to 1280x1024 (this works like a dream for me, at least for PC and on Android for both tablets + phones!) See the CocoonJS Plugin Demo Capx for this solution.

Flip resolutions for portrait. Good luck!

• TwinTails

Tried both options.

1. Turned out nicely on my iPhone, cropped on top and bottom on iPad.

2. The aren't cropped but are smaller then the display.

• eski For option one, you have to use the anchor behaviour to make sure UI elements stay on the screen, or try testing using events to scale with the windowheight and windowwidth expressions.

You can also try- https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/998/sc ... for-mobile

• eski

The reason why things appear very different on iPhone and iPad is that the iPhone can display 16 x 9 content but the iPad is still based on the 4 x 3 layout (like to old monitors used to be ....)

Don't give up because app development is a lot easier and faster now that it used to be.

16 x 9 works for a lot of devices but until Apple unifies their screens (especially on the iPad) you/we will also have to deal with the standard screen resolution of 4 x 3 in both, retina and non retina 1024 by 768 pixels.

If you have put a lot of work in your game then go the extra mile because the iPad crowd buys a lot of app$

• I build my games in a dynamic placement/scaling system I designed. It allows the game to display properly and at full size on any device.

Here's a thread about it with both the dynamic scaling demo and the resutil tool that will help you understand how a game will display on any device.

I'm planning on doing a blog writeup soon on how I did this technique, so hopefully it will be of use to many, as this problem is a common and widespread one.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I find it best so far to just make a separate version for iPad to cater to its 4:3, since it requires changing a lot of gameplay elements for me, may as well be a separate game.

So 16:9 for Android & iPhones and 4:3 for iPads.

Also 1080p is a bit too large for the market currently.

iPhone/iPod Touch is still on 960 x 640 or 1136 x 640. Most Android are now 1280 x 720p or above.

• I build my games in a dynamic placement/scaling system I designed. It allows the game to display properly and at full size on any device.

Here's a thread about it with both the dynamic scaling demo and the resutil tool that will help you understand how a game will display on any device.

I'm planning on doing a blog write-up soon on how I did this technique, so hopefully it will be of use to many, as this problem is a common and widespread one.

I like dynamically placing everything too. It seems much simpler to me than to have to worry about scalling/things going off screen and what not.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)