Video Set Playback Time Bad Behavior

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
8-bit retro-style music and sound effects: 10 loops-able music tracks and 301 individual SFX!
  • Problem Description

Video Set playback time does not behave as expected in Chrome (Windows 7 and Android). Instead, the video always seeks to the beginning.

Attach a Capx

h*t*t*p*s://w*w*w.dropbox.com/s/hn5ge3solzlrhzd/videoPlaybackTime_bugReport.capx?dl=0

Description of Capx

I've included three layouts here, to test different scenarios where I thought set playback time might have operated differently. In all cases, however, an instance of the video plugin is included in the layout, and set playback time is called when a tap is registered.

Case0_Basic simply sets playback time to 10 seconds upon tap. It was built after cases 1 and 2, but seems the cleanest way to test.

Case1_Autoplay attempts to go to a random time between 10 and 20 seconds upon tap, with Autoplay enabled

Case2_Preload attempts to go to a random time between 10 and 20 seconds upon tap. Autplay not enabled - only preload. Calls play after time code is set (in the event that the call to set playback time did not attempt to play from that time - wasn't sure if it was supposed to or not).

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Tap anywhere on screen in any of the layouts

Observed Result

In chrome, video is set back to beginning instead of the specified timecode. Reproducible both when running in preview mode and from a server.

Expected Result

Video player will load video. Upon tap, video should jump to a point near the value passed to set playback time.

Affected Browsers

Windows 7:

• Chrome: (YES) (Windows Chrome Version: 49.0.2623.112 m and 50.0.2661.87 m)
    • Chrome Android: (YES) Android Version: 49.0.2623.91 os version Android 4.4.2 SM-T530 Build / KOT49H)
    • Chrome Mobile: (NO) iOS Version 9.3.1
    • Safari Mobile: (No) iOS version as above
    • FireFox: (NO)
    • Internet Explorer: (NO)

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Service Pack 1

also tested via:

• real iPad Air 2 (iOS 9.3.1)
    • real Windows 10 device on Browserstack
    • emulated iPad Air on Browserstack

Construct 2 Version ID

Release 227 (64-bit)

Built at 13:55:58 on Apr 12 2016

Thanks kindly, Ashley and team!

• I don't think this is anything to do with Construct 2: we successfully set the video currentTime property to 10, but for some reason Chrome seeks to the start. That's happening inside the browser, not the C2 engine. Maybe it's something to do with the way the video is encoded? You should report this issue to Google if you want it to be investigated further.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks Ashley - will do. May be worth noting temporarily on the docs until we have a resolution/response from Google's side, just so that other users aren't as baffled as I was when I ran into this?

Thanks again for the great work you do. If I hear anything back should I report it here?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)