TouchID broken in most browsers

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
  • Sorry, I didn't see reference to this elsewhere. Thanks for investigating.

Problem Description

TouchID should return an arbitrary and unique number to identify a specific touch.

Attach a Capx

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnzkE7yFwDAQgepoehUyuxH86oYhjQ

Description of Capx

This capx has a single code line and one text box

Event: Touch/ on any start-----Action: Text/Set text to "TouchID: "&Touch.TouchID

it should update the TouchID on every touch and display it.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Run capx in each browser and touch away.
    • Observe the reported TouchID numbers displayed on the screen
    • Repeat in other browsers Observed Result In Edge/IE first TouchID gives you an 'arbitrary number' which is incremented by 1 with every subsequent touch. Other browsers do their own things: chrome returns a number that could be similar to the index or count, but I didn't determine. Firefox just doesn't do much. Expected Result TouchID to give you an 'arbitrary number' which is incremented by 1 with every subsequent touch in every browser. Affected Browsers
      • Chrome: (YES)
      • FireFox: (YES)
      • Internet Explorer: (NO)
      • Edge: (NO)

Operating System and Service Pack

Win 10 anniversary update 64bit

Construct 2 Version ID

C2 v233

• You're going to have to be more specific on what you expect to happen.

As is, they all work, however the numbering systems vary for different browsers, and your text object should probably be bigger to accommodate that.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Sorry, afk. Your saying that the 0s returned in actually less than 0?

What I am expecting is any one touch to return a unique ID that whilst that touch remains is used to distinguish it from additional touches, the incrementing seen in edge/ie is not required, but to be an id it must be unique.

I have a mechanic built in edge where I use multiple moving touches, each traced by their IDs to reposition a sprite. This falls over in chrome and Firefox. Chrome at least did generate IDs to be fair and I suspect since it I recycling them (arguably unique for that moment, but not useful for recording, that would need an accessory method), I just need to clear variables on touch ends to ensure it knows a repeated number is a new one. Perhaps clearing them to a negative number to work with both ie/edge and chrome. I don't know what Firefox is doing (I don't normally use it perhaps touch is not enabled in the sameway?). It only returns 0 and therefore would be useless - are you saying it works in Firefox?

Thx for helping

• Yes, touch id is not working for me in Firefox, but touch for FF has always been buggy on my machine.

I've messed with my about config, and touch is not enabled by default , but even changing it manually did not fix anything.

Touch index is also not working on it.

On the other hand, drag and drop worked automatically.

• So I fixed the mechanic in chrome by changing the way I think about the IDs. Edge and IE are ordered in that regard and the working mechanic gave me false security. Firefox is not working for me, but then I probably haven't updated it in the last few months because 'no one uses firefox' and if not it is probably a browser bug.

newt thx

Ashley can throw this post in the bug bin, please.

• I think firefox itself is broke, or more likely missing a complete setup for multi touch.

• Closing as not a bug: the touch ID is not guaranteed to be anything in particular - only different to the other current touch IDs. So on some browser/platforms it increases by 1 every time, on others it uses random numbers, and on others it re-uses the lowest free IDs. You can't assume that IDs will be any particular value.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)