Signalling Server Not Working for Several People

0 favourites
  • 15 posts
From the Asset Store
The official Scirra Multiplayer Signalling Server for helping peers find and connect to each other
  • Reproduction Steps

- Start the Game

- Use arrow keys to scroll to the <Jungle> option

- Press the spacebar

Expected Result

Game moves to the next layout and starts the multiplayer match.

Actual Result

This varies with who is using it, but a lot of the people I've tested this with are indicating that the game can not connect to signalling server-- as indicated by the error message on the title screen.

I have no idea what determines who can and can't connect. It should be noted that, I, with poor internet, can connect to the server. Others, who have better internet connection, can not. No matter how many times I get the game to attempt to reconnect to the server after failing, it does not connect to the server once.

I also want to note that sometimes, while waiting in the title screen, the server will lose connection on its own. This an issue that even I have experienced, is the signalling server having issues?

Project Files

[ Removed ]

• It seems to work fine here.

Whether or not users can connect to the signalling server is not to do with Construct anyway: it's to do with how connections over the Internet work. It's possible there are firewalls, filtering or other kinds of network configurations that are intentionally or unintentionally blocking the connection. I don't believe there's anything that can be done about it.

• It seems to work fine here.

Whether or not users can connect to the signalling server is not to do with Construct anyway: it's to do with how connections over the Internet work. It's possible there are firewalls, filtering or other kinds of network configurations that are intentionally or unintentionally blocking the connection. I don't believe there's anything that can be done about it.

I see. It's just a bit odd to me, because I hadn't encountered this issue before when testing with the same people, so I assumed it was an issue with the server. Although, it's probably not very great that the multiplayer functionality of Construct 2 can just fail with nothing to do about it.

Is the only way to remedy this issue by telling the players to configure their settings in a specific way? If so, would it be possible to give me a short run-through of what players should look out for?

• Thanks for moving it to closed bugs and still not responding.

I made this bug report not expecting any real help but somehow I still got disappointed. I've been using Construct 2 since 2012 and the way bug reports and other issues have been dealt with has just gotten worse and worse. I'm genuinely really annoyed at this.

• There's not much more I can add I'm afraid. This appears to do with the Internet, not Construct. I can't be held responsible for the way the entire Internet works.

• There's not much more I can add I'm afraid. This appears to do with the Internet, not Construct. I can't be held responsible for the way the entire Internet works.

I just feel that if you have this big feature that two of your engines rely on that is just susceptible to not working at will and just has to be accepted... then is that not kind of a problem?

I mean not only has this not been an issue with some of these people I've tested with before, but I'm just supposed to tell the people I'm working with, "Well, this engine is unreliable so if we want to use multiplayer we either have to work with another engine or accept that it sucks."

Not to mention that I was hoping that I could at least get some kind of response to my question about the ideal internet configuration, so that we didn't sink all this time into a game that doesn't work and maybe be able to do damage control somehow? But then my question is ignored and the post is moved to closed bugs.

I'm just trying to make the best of a bad situation and frankly, after all this time with Construct 2 I'm a bit peeved at the attitude that's been used since I've started using the engine. It sucks that I have to look at all the people I introduce C2 or C3 to and say, "The engine has some big issues and you can't really rely on the developers to deal or fix with them."

I know this seems like an overreaction to such a minor thing, but I've been peeved at this attitude for years! And I'm getting thoroughly fed up when I have to say "your best bet for this project is using another engine" because C2 and C3 have so much potential! And so many people get turned away because of things like this, RexRainbow left the community because of this kind of attitude! The primary reason I haven't bought into C3 yet is because a very large of the great plugins that made this engine worthwhile just aren't coming to C3 anymore because Rex left. There's a whole forum thread with people who also feel that way about C3!

It's just frustrating to have been a part of this whole community and then watch as all your peers leave because there are better engines and better developers, and to have stuck with C2 and C3 for 7-8 years and not only have to expect that filing a bug report will do me no good, but that I'm going to have to accept that this massive feature just will not work sometimes... despite other engines being able to pull it off. It is an understatement to say that this is incredibly frustrating to work with.

• One possible cause is that the people getting an error message connecting to the signalling server are offline.

Construct games work offline. However if you are not online, obviously you cannot make a connection to the signalling server.

Obviously we cannot offer any support in that scenario. The user needs to go online.

You should not start blaming anyone before ruling this type of thing out, and obviously it is nothing to do with Construct at all.

• I'm familiar with this issue although it seems to be worse on mobile, in comparison with desktops. It's pretty much impossible to get a 100% success rate without using an expensive TURN server or telling your affected customers to use networking software like "LogMeIn Hamachi". As you mentioned, it's also possible to tell your affected customers to configure their network but that'll probably just result in a refund. (The signaling server is also occasionally down for maintenance.)

Since TURN servers can be expensive and could cost Scirra up to 1000€/year or more depending on the traffic. I highly doubt we'll get any official Scirra TURN server soon.

If you need 100% reliable multiplayer, your only options are pretty much to get your own TURN server or use 3rd party solutions like "Photon". Both will cost you money if you have a large scale game.

• TheRealDannyyy - TURN servers are only relevant for peer-to-peer connections. The signalling server is a normal direct connection, like loading a web page, and that was the part that was reported to not be working here.

I think it's a fair anaology that if you can't load a web page, it's too soon to blame the website operator - you should check your connection is actually working first.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • TheRealDannyyy - TURN servers are only relevant for peer-to-peer connections. The signalling server is a normal direct connection, like loading a web page, and that was the part that was reported to not be working here.

Nevermind, I misread what the actual problem was. Most issues with multiplayer are often related to peers not being able to connect with each other.

As you already said, unless the game is offline, there shouldn't be any reason for why people can't connect to the signaling server. Sadly the web doesn't have support for local (OFFLINE/LAN) connections without a signaling server yet.

I think it's a fair anaology that if you can't load a web page, it's too soon to blame the website operator - you should check your connection is actually working first.

I'm personally not blaming anyone. Multiplayer is always a pain to work with, regardless of the game engine. Some engines have more options with 3rd party libraries though. Maybe the web has some new innovative and reliable 3rd party libraries too, never really checked myself.

• One possible cause is that the people getting an error message connecting to the signalling server are offline.

Construct games work offline. However if you are not online, obviously you cannot make a connection to the signalling server.

Obviously we cannot offer any support in that scenario. The user needs to go online.

You should not start blaming anyone before ruling this type of thing out, and obviously it is nothing to do with Construct at all.

The signalling server is a normal direct connection, like loading a web page, and that was the part that was reported to not be working here.

I never reported the webpage not being able to load, and like I mentioned in the original post, all of the users were connected to the internet and in some cases had better internet than I did. Still had issues. I've never had the issue before when dealing with Construct's multiplayer, what changed? If it's not Construct's fault, did something change with the system it relies on? If so, it might be good to find a better way to implement multiplayer if it's susceptible to just... not working for any reason.

TheRealDannyyyThanks for providing your input. I suppose realistically if I want to pursue multiplayer or help another user pursue multiplayer (as it is in this case), I should probably use a third-party plugin or just not use Construct entirely. I really appreciate it.

• I never reported the webpage not being able to load, and like I mentioned in the original post, all of the users were connected to the internet and in some cases had better internet than I did. Still had issues. I've never had the issue before when dealing with Construct's multiplayer, what changed? If it's not Construct's fault, did something change with the system it relies on? If so, it might be good to find a better way to implement multiplayer if it's susceptible to just... not working for any reason.

Your best bet is to find any error messages in the console or similar. Antivirus software or the Windows Firewall could also block outgoing connections on NWjs desktop.

TheRealDannyyyThanks for providing your input. I suppose realistically if I want to pursue multiplayer or help another user pursue multiplayer (as it is in this case), I should probably use a third-party plugin or just not use Construct entirely. I really appreciate it.

The mentioned peer-to-peer connection issue could still affect your game, regardless of it being off-topic. The plugin is not to blame for this though, it's a complex issue with the Internet and certain networks in general.

The grass might look greener on the other side but other engines often come with multiplayer issues of their own. I know it's a bad situation right now but there is not much that could be done, without finding the actual cause for your issue.

• > I never reported the webpage not being able to load, and like I mentioned in the original post, all of the users were connected to the internet and in some cases had better internet than I did. Still had issues. I've never had the issue before when dealing with Construct's multiplayer, what changed? If it's not Construct's fault, did something change with the system it relies on? If so, it might be good to find a better way to implement multiplayer if it's susceptible to just... not working for any reason.

Your best bet is to find any error messages in the console or similar. Antivirus software or the Windows Firewall could also block outgoing connections on NWjs desktop.

Do you have any tips as to how would I find that? The Google Chrome console isn't giving any errors naturally and the way the plugin reads out errors is only in certain situations. It's mostly why I filed a bug report, I can't seem to find a way to pinpoint the source of the issue.

> TheRealDannyyyThanks for providing your input. I suppose realistically if I want to pursue multiplayer or help another user pursue multiplayer (as it is in this case), I should probably use a third-party plugin or just not use Construct entirely. I really appreciate it.

The mentioned peer-to-peer connection issue could still affect your game, regardless of it being off-topic. The plugin is not to blame for this though, it's a complex issue with the Internet and certain networks in general.

The grass might look greener on the other side but other engines often come with multiplayer issues of their own. I know it's a bad situation right now but there is not much that could be done, without finding the actual cause for your issue.

Well the issue I'm having isn't peer to peer, players can't connect to the signalling server in the first place. Although you are right, I'm mostly saying that because I know Photon worked well prior to C2's implementation of multiplayer and that the multiplayer on other engines (while they have have their issues) have better features from what I can tell, you know?

I guess I've been sticking with Construct 2 for so long that I'm just feeling like other engines would be better. As I've mentioned before, all my peers have left for other engines and so that may contribute to why I'm getting so frustrated with things like this.

• I never reported the webpage not being able to load

I think Ashley just meant that connecting to the signaling server is like "connecting" to a webpage.

Do you have any tips as to how would I find that? The Google Chrome console isn't giving any errors naturally and the way the plugin reads out errors is only in certain situations. It's mostly why I filed a bug report, I can't seem to find a way to pinpoint the source of the issue.

Only thing that comes to mind is the error message expression inside the plugin itself. If that doesn't provide anything useful, then I don't know either. Usually the browser console logs issues well.

If you don't distribute your game using NWjs, the Windows Firewall or Antivirus programs shouldn't do any problems by the way.

• > I never reported the webpage not being able to load

I think Ashley just meant that connecting to the signaling server is like "connecting" to a webpage.

Ah, I see. When he said, "I think it's a fair anaology that if you can't load a web page, it's too soon to blame the website operator - you should check your connection is actually working first." I think I misunderstood that as a literal observation rather an analogy, as he stated.

> Do you have any tips as to how would I find that? The Google Chrome console isn't giving any errors naturally and the way the plugin reads out errors is only in certain situations. It's mostly why I filed a bug report, I can't seem to find a way to pinpoint the source of the issue.

Only thing that comes to mind is the error message expression inside the plugin itself. If that doesn't provide anything useful, then I don't know either. Usually the browser console logs issues well.

If you don't distribute your game using NWjs, the Windows Firewall or Antivirus programs shouldn't do any problems by the way.

It's a web game, so I suppose we can rule that out. Normally I wouldn't file a bug report if I didn't have to, but I really can't seem to find anyway to figure out what the error is, you know? The most information I can get is just a failure to connect to the signalling server.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)