[r66] Check failure when changing global var

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Globals 2.0
$3.99 USD
Globals 2.0 stores and group variables. You can also load and save data (variables) from/to JSON files.
  • Does seem a familar pattern with graphics cards for some reason. Has anybody not had a crash with a nVidia card?

• OK, thanks everyone, I guess I was wrong and somehow the graphics card affects this! Crazy!

Now I know this I'll go over the code again and see if I can find the problem... it's a crazy problem, the event sheet view is software rendered! I didn't think it used the graphics card at all :P

• I recall that someone with mobility radeon had an issue in r65, when event sheet rendered over his layout. I have an inkling of suspicion that this is related.

• I confirm the bug, Nvidia card here:

Windows 7 32 bit - GeForce 9400 GT

If I add anything to the global variable description it doesn't crash, and it then shows on the event sheet at far right.

• No bug here.

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600

Windows 7, 64-bit

• definitely leaning towards the graphic card. Ashley, what graphics cards do you use?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Iv been working on my game for the last 12 hours with no problems then all of a sudden when I run layout the game works until I move my cursor over the game then everything freezes. This happens on all projects even the example files. But I don't seem to be getting the same type of crash as everyone else.

Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express

Windows 7, 64-bit

• Wink, that sounds like a different bug, best make a separate thread about it - this thread is just about the variables bug.

I'm on a Radeon, so I guess after all this is a nVidia-specific bug. How strange! I'm just preparing another test build which should hopefully give some more information.

• Hey guys, i have a Radeon and got the bug when comparing a global variable.

• OK Ashley will do. Looks like I have the worst graphics card of the bunch. lol

• OK, here's another test build:

http://www.scirra.com/downloads/releases/construct2-r66-2-tryfix3.exe

I doubt this fixes it, but should give us some more info to deal with the problem. When clicking Done in the parameters dialog in Noga's original example, you should see a dialog like this:

---------------------------
    DEBUG
    OKing event parameter dialog:

cursel = [0]
    itemtext = [Variable1]
    ev = 00000000024FB0A0
    OK   

That verifies the combo is working properly - if itemtext is blank or 'ev' is all zeroes it's gone wrong.

Also, I added some extra checks so you might get a different message if something goes wrong.

Let me know how this works - hopefully we can get to the bottom of this ASAP and push out a 66.2 update :-\

• Ok, tried the new fix and I'm not getting the above dialog at all, just the same old "Check failure!" error. :/

• Just tried new build and got......

Construct 2 Check failure

Check failure! This is probably a bug:

Returning NULL event variable

Condition: event_var != NULL

File: Projects\Parameters.cpp

Line: 285

Function: class EventVariable *__thiscall EventParameter::GetEventVariable(void) const

Build: release 66 (32-bit) checked

Component: Construct 2 IDE

(Last Win32 error: 0)

You are using a 'checked' release of Construct 2, intended for testing, which causes certain errors to be reported this way. Hit Ctrl+C to copy this messagebox - it's useful information for the developers, so please include it with any bug reports! Click 'Abort' to quit (unsaved data will be lost!),'Retry' to turn off messages for this session and continue, or 'Ignore' to continue normally.

Abort   Retry   Ignore   

So, no change unfortunately :(

*** EDIT ***

Just noticed that unlike the original build, this one does show the comments in Event view.

• Crashes dead on doing something with instance variables in events, but at least global ones work ok now (got an error message then crash previously).

• Looks like the same error

Construct 2 Check failure

Check failure! This is probably a bug:

Returning NULL event variable

Condition: event_var != NULL

File: Projects\Parameters.cpp

Line: 285

Function: class EventVariable *__thiscall EventParameter::GetEventVariable(void) const

Build: release 66 (32-bit) checked

Component: Construct 2 IDE

(Last Win32 error: 0)

You are using a 'checked' release of Construct 2, intended for testing, which causes certain errors to be reported this way. Hit Ctrl+C to copy this messagebox - it's useful information for the developers, so please include it with any bug reports! Click 'Abort' to quit (unsaved data will be lost!),'Retry' to turn off messages for this session and continue, or 'Ignore' to continue normally.

Abort   Retry   Ignore   

when trying to change a global var with events

and when i try instance i get the same old hard crash with no info.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)