"Browse examples" leads to many C2 instances

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
A cool way for kids to write and practice English Alphabets
  • Link to .capx file (required!):

This requires only C2 and the example projects.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open C2

2. On the Start Page, click on Browse Examples

3. Double click on an example project

4. Notice that a new instance of C2 has launched with the selected example project.

5. The above steps may be repeated; a new C2 instance launches each time

Observed result:

Described above.

Expected result:

Selected project opens in the current instance of C2.

I understand now that "Browse Examples" just opens Windows Explorer to the examples directory but that was not obvious at first. The same icon is used for both "Open Project" and "Browse Examples", however, "Open Project" brings up the file open dialog while "Browse Examples" opens Windows Explorer.

Since a file may be selected in both a dialog and explorer by double-clicking I didn't realize at first that I wasn't getting a file open dialog via "Browse Examples".

It is perhaps not sufficient to rely on the user's understanding of the difference between "browse" and "open" when both commands are associated with the same icon. I suggest that the "browse examples" instead present the user with a file open dialog already set to the examples directory. This would allow a user to try out multiple examples without having to close an instance of C2 for each.

Browsers affected:

Chrome: no

Firefox: no

Internet Explorer: no

Operating system & service pack:

Win 8 Pro

Construct 2 version:

r132 (64-bit)

• I have no problem differentiating both since the first time I used C2. In my understanding, why would C2 give different options if the function is just the same. There must be difference(s). Second,if we open file open dialog, there are name for the dialog, and buttons (open and cancel)while in windows explorer for "browse file shows none of them. For the icon, though both are the same, they have different names, n they are written down beside each icon. So it wont be misleading.

For your suggestion, try to open new project (ctrl+N)and you can choose many templates and examples premade for C2. ^^

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Closing as won't fix. If this behavior annoys you, just click File -> New, which shows the same content and allows you to open it in the current instance of C2.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)