Positional Audio possible bug

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Match same tiles with each other as fast as you can and earn more score during a limited time!
  • Problem Description

I originally posted this in the "How do I?" section, but after a little more experimentation, I think I was encountering a bug. It appears that when you play audio "at an object" it uses the object's position in the layout, rather than the object's position on the screen, to determine how the audio sounds. This means that an object at the center of the screen in the left quarter of a large (in my case, 3200 pixels) layout will sound considerably different than the same object playing the same sound in the right quarter of the layout.

Attach a Capx

https://github.com/Llorean/Femlink/tree/master/ (I don't know how to attach files in this forum)

Description of Capx

It's my entire game code, relevant audio code is in the Link event sheet.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

You can see what's happening just by wandering back and forth and stabbing with the sword (Z key). To see a sharp difference go through the door (hit Up) and you'll be on a different map where you're at the top of the layout instead of the bottom, and sounds are considerably louder.

Observed Result

Audio changes position even when sprite is in the same on-screen position, seeming to change based on where it is relative to the center of the layout.

Expected Result

Audio changes position based on where it is relative to the center of the screen.

Affected Browsers

• Chrome: (YES)
    • FireFox: (Unknown)
    • Internet Explorer: (Unknown)

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows 8.1, fully updated as of the time of this post.

Construct 2 Version ID

Release 200

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Closing, bug reports must include a .capx. Use a service like Dropbox or Google Drive as described in the bug report guidelines. It's also by design that positioned sounds are based off layout co-ordinates, not screen co-ordinates. I can't see your .capx but I would guess you are using parallax which breaks the association between heard and seen positions.

• At the very least this should be noted in the manual then. I can't imaginebany regular user would expect and audio source visibly to the left of the screen to play audio from the right if it happens to be in the right half of the layout. As your report form notes, it's about expected vs actual behavior, so this is evidently a documentation bug if things are working as intended, but you didn't communicate the intent and a fair number of users are likely to expect different behavior.

• Llorean - I don't know that's the issue, I only guessed, is that what your project does?

• No parallax is used on the layer the objects the sounds play at use. I have a UI layer set not to move and a game layer with default parallax values.

• Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Is there some sort of positioned "listener" I should perhaps track to my protagonist sprite?

• Okay, yes, completely my misunderstanding. I don't know how I missed it, sorry for wasting time.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)