Platform jump height variation

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
Complete game Construct 2 and Construct 3 to post on Google Play
  • Problem Description

The player jumps at a different height every time the jump button is pressed. The height varies by up to around 6 pixels.

Attach a Capx

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ez81d1jo732q4 ... .capx?dl=0

Description of Capx

A yellow sprite is placed just out of the player's reach. Repeated jumps will allow the player to occasionally reach it.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

1. Stand under the sprite and repeatedly press up to jump 2. The sprite will turn red if the player touches it

Observed Result

The player is occasionally able to jump higher than he should be able to.

Expected Result

The player's jump height should be almost exactly the same height every time. I understand there is a slight variation in height due to how delta time works but I'm experiencing between 2 to 6 pixels of variation each jump.

Affected Browsers

• Chrome: yes
    • FireFox: yes
    • Internet Explorer: yes

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows 7 x64 sp1

Construct 2 Version ID

r184 64 bit

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Closing as won't fix: as you note this derives from small random variations in the measurements of dt. You simply have to design your game with reasonable tolerances and not do things like place platforms with only 1px of clearance, just give it a few px to be sure.

FWIW here it's completely consistent in Chrome and the sprite never turns red.

• Could you please at least mention this in the manual? I will have a fucking hard time to redesign my game now because I relied on repeatable behaviour and could have saved much work if I had this known earlier! Thank you. :/

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)