PC Crash causes project corruption

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
A space themed game with high quality 2D graphics and addictive music that provide hours of fun
  • (There's no point in uploading my capx file as it is purely NULL characters - completely corrupted)

Steps to reproduce:

1. PC BSOD

Observed result:

Project and nigh on all project files become corrupted

(seemingly beyond repair)

Expected result:

Program has some form of failsafe/automatic backup (I don't know many programs that lose all your file data when they are forcibly terminated)

Browsers affected:

N/A

Operating system & service pack:

Windows 7 SP1

Construct 2 version:

Release 114 (32-bit/Steam) - Free

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I know that now, but since when did we have to schedule Word/Outlook/Firefox to automatically backup what we're doing. Most software dealing with data people wouldn't want to use have a default backup in place - I'd like to see this software do the same. My data is already mostly gone, I'm recovering some via hex and binary searching across my drive, but I'd like to make sure others don't have this issue.

• Isn't a capx just a text file?

• Yea, plain text xml file. Except a snippet of my file is "NULLNULLNULLNULLNULLNULLNULLNULL" etc

• Closing, Construct 2 does already keep automatic backups in the same folder as the project, only separate-folder backups need to be set up. Look in your project's folder and you should see something like myproject.capx.backup1.

• Yes but that backup is also corrupted (filled with "NULLNULLNULLNULL") - surely there's a sturdier way of managing the files? If that backup corrupted, how can I be sure that the other backup feature will work?

• Out of interest, if the corruption is folder based maybe the backup should be kept somewhere else, such as AppData or somewhere?

• I'm afraid if your computer crashes and the system overwrites all your project files with junk, there's not much that we can do about that: Construct 2 will continue dutifully backing up the corrupt files. This is why it's important to set up hourly/daily/weekly backups in the Backups tab of Preferences, which is an existing way to save backups to a separate folder, disk or network location, which should be more robust against one particular storage media failing and hosing your work.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)