Multiplayer not supported bug(R259)

0 favourites
  • 14 posts
From the Asset Store
2D fighting template based in the game that defined the fighting games genre.
  • Problem Description

Multiplayer doesn't work after exporting to android.I've exported a simple capx and it says "multiplayer not supported" . This problem only caused after exporting and it doesn't have any problem in preview mode or browser . I tried both Webview & Webview+ export on my phone (galexy S6) . NOTE : this problem is not by cacoon because i export the same capx with R244 and it didn't have problem .

Attach a Capx

capx : https://www.dropbox.com/s/huv2b58cdbxotnr/mtest.capx?dl=0

exported with R259 which has problem : dropbox.com/s/2tio5pddmhlye5a/mptest1.0.0.0.apk

exported with R244 without problem : dropbox.com/s/8csa7px5uy9r488/mtestt1.0.0.0.apk

Description of Capx

A simple capx that checks multiplayer supported or not .

Steps to Reproduce Bug

1-Open the capx

2-export it to cordova

3-build an android version with cacoon or phonegape

4-Try it on your phone

Observed Result

Multiplayer not supported

Expected Result

Multiplayer supported

Affected Browsers

Chrome: (NO)

FireFox: (NO)

Internet Explorer: (NO)

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows 7 64-bit ultimate service pack 1

Construct 2 Version ID

r259

• Also have this problem. Made a post one week ago

• Can't reproduce here. The multiplayer chat example checks if multiplayer is supported, and if I build a debug APK and run it on a HTC 10 with Android 8, it works fine. Multiplayer is detected as supported and works in the chat room.

Is the device's Chrome or webview app up-to-date? If it's old it might not fully support multiplayer.

• Ashley

I was searching for any changes in multiplayer plugin and noticed that there were one in r253. I compared two files of c2mp.js and found that there were a change in "Is supported" registration. So if we remove this part of code, it will work ok. Maybe RTCDataChannel is not supported on some devices?

• That code is necessary to correctly detect support on the most recent versions of Firefox and Edge.

Which version of Chrome or the Android System Webview do you have on your device? Is it up-to-date?

• Ashley

I don't get where I can check my WebView version. And I don't get why Firefox and edge affects on cordova support checking. May be it should detect if device supports RTCDataChannel only if the user is not on Cordova platform? Because it looks like Multiplayer works fine without RTCDataChannel.

And even if webview on some devices aren't up-to-date, we are not able to change it for users. At least I think so

• The support check is correct for all up-to-date platforms. I verified this on my own Android device and it was correct.

Use the Browser object and set a text object to the UserAgent expression - that should show you the Chrome version in use. It's quite a long string though so make sure the text object is big enough to contain it all.

• Ashley

I'm not sure if it's the same, but there's also some chrome version indicated.

You said, it works ok on all up-to-date systems. Buuut.. Let's say not all users are up-to-date. For example, I can't do anything with my system. It's partially outdated. No android updates, no fixes and nothing is available for me to up-to-date my phone. I'm sure a big part of players are in the same situation. So it'd be really better if we had only one limitation - 4.1+ for Crosswalk and 5.0+ for WebView as it was earlier.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • That looks like a browser. I meant checking with the Browser plugin in the APK. It's not necessarily the same. Your screenshot does indicate an old Chrome version too (65, when 67 is now out), so it does look like you are not staying up to date with software updates.

We've seen web views as old as Chrome 30 (from 2013). It's not reasonable to support such old platforms. Generally there is a tiny number of people using them, it's incredibly difficult to test and code for, it clogs up our code with compatibility cruft, and it makes it harder to make optimisations and write new features if we hold back on using the latest web platform features. Besides, if you don't install updates, your device will gradually become more insecure as the number of known and unpatched vulnerabilities steadily increases. So you probably want to keep it up to date just for that!

• Ashley

Ok then, in the app it says.

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.0; Micromax AQ5001 Build/LRX21M) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/37.0.0.0 Mobile Safari/537.36

• Pretty much what I suspected - Chrome 37, from 2014 :P Closing as not a bug. Check for software updates in the Google Play store, if you can make sure the Android System Webview and Chrome are both up-to-date it should work.

• Ashley

Well, i'm not a creator of this topic, he doesn't reply for some reason. But even with both updated Android System Webview and Chrome in Google play, it shows Chrome 37. I was searching in google how to update it and it looks like I can't without root.

And still. It works without checking RTCDataChannel. I see only one decision of this problem - just remove it, since my app is made for Cordova, not Firefox or Edge. What do you think?

I also can't say "Your chrome version is outdated. Go and update it, and then use this app" to my users. By statisctics there's a lot of users of Andrdoid 4.4 in my country. Probably they all using webview version <2014

• I'm agree with . Many of my users use android less than version 5 . I'm wonder why everything is fine with C2 version R244 cordova export but not R259 . Ashley could you at least check it ? It's a serious problem for me . Thanks

• 88% of Android devices have Android 5.0+, which supports an auto-updating Android System Webview app. (Later versions of Android don't even have the app, they just use Chrome directly.) To support Android 4.x you have to use Crosswalk, which is now deprecated by its own developers. So by now I think it's reasonable to just require Android 5.0+.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)