Mind the Gap

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
A set of board games to make your day joyful. Play, Enjoy, Relax
  • Link to .capx file (required!):

dropbox.com/s/dbnvm6dsekddvtq/MindTheGap.capx

Steps to reproduce:

1. Save the capx as project and then open the files folder.

2. Open the ogg, wav and m4a in audio program like sound forge. You can see that there is now a gap in the waveform of teh m4a that was not present in teh wave file and is not in the ogg file.

3. The wave and ogg are seamless loops the m4a has a gap added to it by the C2 conversion

Observed result:

The seamless loop is now not seamless it has a horrid sounding gap. :(

Expected result:

The m4a should be seamless like the ogg and the original wave file.

Browsers affected:

any that play the m4a in preference to the ogg file

Operating system & service pack:

Construct 2 version:

I have found this information about the problem

forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php

At the moment I am passing my ogg through this website

audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-m4a

The resulting file is seamless, so it can be done. It appears the converter that you are using for C2 is the culprit.

This result is not a problem for simple non-looping sounds but is a killer for when a seamless continuous sound is required, e.g., engine noises, waterfalls etc

• Closing as won't fix. AAC (.m4a) is a patented format, and we would have to pay licensing fees to include a commercial quality encoder inside Construct 2. This is one of several reasons we prefer Ogg Vorbis (the encoder for it is also much better quality and free for us to use). To work around the fees we use the AAC encoder built-in to Windows, so we don't need to ship our own encoder. However as you've probably guessed it's a really crap encoder.

Fixing this would require using a better encoder that would cost us license fees, and we're not prepared to do that. Importing your own .m4a files using your own encoder is one workaround. Also you might want to encourage Microsoft to support Vorbis next time you contact them....

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • ok, fair enough. It took me a while to work out why my endless loop was glitching.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)