Memory Leak on Windows Phone (universal export)

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
Memory game, with 10 levels for you to have fun. Made in Construct3, template available for purchase.
  • I am re-opening this issue because your answer was completely inaccurate and incorrect.

You replied: "The snapshot you sent me on Twitter (note: it's more useful to keep it in the bug report itself)". That is wrong. I never sent you anything on twitter. I attached the screenshots of the memory leak directly to this bug report. I have no idea what you are referring to.

You replied: "screenshot only indicates 179mb usage". That is wrong. Again. The screenshots attached to my ticket clearly show the memory leak over time going up as high as 356mb after 90 minutes. Here it is again:

[attachment=0:t4ev4py4][/attachment:t4ev4py4]

You said: "If you want to send a more useful snapshot, export again with "minify script" off, since the minify option has made the majority of the snapshot unreadable". That is wrong (yet again). The screenshots (and the issue) was observed without minify script enabled.

I may be willing to accept that it is with Windows Phone 8.1 code, as it is after all still in beta, but the fact that you are talking about things I am completely unaware of (such as sending you minified code on Twitter) leads me to believe that you are either mistaken, or are responding to a completely wrong ticket. Furthermore, I have tested by running other WP8.1 apps (not from Construct 2) and they successfully run for over 8 hours without crashing.

I would truly appreciate if you could test with one of the tutorial files I mentioned, following the steps I mentioned, and send me your javascript memory test to prove that this is not a bug. Because as of right now, I have no confidence in what you are telling me. If you need me to send you a log, a test, a script, a file or anything else, just tell me exactly what to do, and I will do it.

I am a Windows Phone user, and the main reason I chose to create my app with your tool was for Windows Phone support. Prove to me that this is not a bug, or refund my money. Your choice.

-------

Problem Description

Over time, a project exported as a Universal 8.1 (Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1) app from Construct 2 r168 will leak memory only in Windows Phone 8.1. Despite sharing the same code, the Windows 8.1 build does not leak memory. Only the Windows Phone build does.

Attach a Capx

This issue was observed with my own capx as well as your own template files. No need to appach a capx file... simply use the Flapping Bird template with no modifications. I tested and confirmed the same issue occurs.

Description of Capx

Test with Flapping Bird template.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Export app from Construct 2 as Universal 8.1.
    • Open the project in Visual Studio 2013 with Update 2 RC.
    • Ensure you are are the Windows Phone app
    • Debug -> Performance and Diagnostics -> select Javascript memory, and start
    • Do nothing. The app immediately starts leaking memory, even just sitting on the main play screen. The memory number keeps going up. It never drops back down.
    • Try with Windows 8 and notice there is no memory leak.

Observed Result

The app slowly increases total memory used, about 1-2 MBs per minute. Eventually, app crashes as it runs out of memory.

Expected Result

I expect the memory use to remain the same over time.

Affected Browsers

Windows Phone 8.1 Only.

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows Phone 8.1 (issue occurs on device with Lumia 920, and in emulator)

Construct 2 Version ID

Construct 2 release 168 64bit

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Sorry, someone tweeted me something strangely similar to your report and I got mixed up. We deal with a lot of bug reports coming from all directions and some users try to step in to, er, "help", so it can be pretty chaotic sometimes. I am sorry if for some reason this offended you.

I have further investigated the issue and I observed a leak, but I believe my measurements prove the bug is in Windows Phone 8.1, not Construct 2. The following screenshot shows my results:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15217362/wp81leak.png

The blue line which indicates a very slow leak is the process total memory, as in the total memory used by the operating system for the app. I took three snapshots over a period of about 19 minutes and all three of them indicate exactly 6100 Javascript objects using 4.23mb of memory. This appears to prove there is no memory leak in the Construct 2 engine, and is further supported by the fact the app does not leak memory on any other platform despite using the same engine. I think you will have to pursue the issue with Microsoft.

• Thank you for the response. This is all I was looking for. I appreciate you taking the time to look into this further.

It is a shame something is broken in WP8.1. That means all my projects are now on hold as every WP app I make will end up crashing after some time. I will pursue this with Microsoft further. Please feel free to close this bug, and please let me know if you know how I can get in touch with Microsoft about this (I have not dealt with them before).

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)