Long music prevents sound to load on Chrome

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Full game Construct 2 and Construct 3 to post on Google Play
  • Link to .capx file (required!):

mediafire.com

Steps to reproduce:

Event sheet has been arranged accordingly in capx above for this bug report. Instruction is provided both in the layout of the capx, as well as here:

Press A to play a sound effect. Play Z to play a short music (~2 minutes). Play X to play a long music (~5 minutes). Switching between 2 music also stops the other music playing.

Observed result:

I think this is a preload bug for long audio on Chrome. On Chrome (Version 27.0.1453.116 m), if you play the long music (press X) first, then all sound effects and other music may not be played ever again. (Try press X, then, Z and A to see this) But if you try play any other sound before the long audio, those sounds that have been played can still be played. (Try press A and/or Z, then X, and then try press A and/or Z again to see this)

TEST: Chrome may no longer load unloaded audio if the next music is long for 90% of the time. For Firefox, I see that version 21.0 and 22.0 can run perfectly without any problem. IE 10 (version 10.0.9200.16618) has a delay but it does eventually play.

Expected result:

All music and other audio on Chrome should still be loaded and played normally.

Browsers affected:

Chrome: yes

Firefox: no

Internet Explorer: no but the delay is quite long, given the fact that the music is streamed locally.

Operating system & service pack:

Win7 ultimate service pack 1

Construct 2 version:

r132 64 bits

• I was writing too fast. A little fix:

I think this is a preload bug for long audio on Chrome. On Chrome (Version 27.0.1453.116 m), if you play the long music (press X) first, then all sound effects and other music may not be LOADED AND played ever again. (Try press X, then, Z and A to see this) But if you try play any other sound before the long audio, those sounds that have been played can still be played. (Try press A and/or Z, then X, and then try press A and/or Z again to see this)

• Almost certain this is a Chrome issue and not a Construct 2 bug. If I break in to the debugger to investigate why audio is not playing, it plays again when I resume; if I don't break in to the debugger it doesn't play. This type of strange behavior indicates some kind of problem in Chrome. I'd recommend reporting it to Google (at crbug.com).

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Dear Ashley, I have opened the issue and I already got some responses. They said they don't have enough information on C2 side (ie. how did you implement the program) to take action, so perhaps you could have a talk with them?

• I'll reply to the thread.

• Dear Ashley, because the Chrome folks demand a HTML5 page for quicker view right away, I've decided to export my project (with all default setting) into HTML5 form provided here: mediafire.com (non-minify version here: mediafire.com

But surprisingly, if I run this exported HTML5 project in Chrome, I can play any music without any problem, BUT the sound effect OK - 1 (press A) never play no matter what. So we got different result from exported project and running the project from C2 directly.

On Firefox, everything works correctly. IE also works correctly, and more surprisingly, there are no delays upon requesting for playing the music too. I shall report this to the Chromium thread as well.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)