iPad Pro landscape orientation buggy

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
characters sprites for creating a 2D action platformer or sidescroller game with cute, kawaii, fantasy theme
  • Welp, I'm at a loss to explain this. Looks like we're going to have to order in an iPad Pro.

• Not sure if Ashley will see this but maybe someone else can answer the question:

When I updated to r223 I did NOT uninstall r221 (or r222), even though the installer recommended it. Would that have caused any issues that might have invalidated the test? (I installed the new version to a different drive.)

• john Cutter - it's probably not important.

Well, today we got this: hopefully we can get to the bottom of it soon!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Okay, so I could reproduce and this should be fixed in the next build now (finally!)

The root cause of the problem was actually pretty unusual. When the iPad 3 came out, it had terrible performance, unless you used a canvas width of 2046 instead of the full 2048 (probably due to obscure details of the graphics driver). We duly hacked in a workaround that set the maximum viewport size to 2046 on retina-enabled iPads. Fast forward about 4 years and the iPad Pro is the first retina iPad device with a viewport wider than 2048 pixels! Our hack was still kicking in and bringing the viewport down too narrow. I tested the iPad 3 and it looks like it doesn't need this hack any more, presumably subsequent iOS updates fixed the original problem. So it should all be working as of the next build.

Interesting how workarounds that are essential at the time end up being a problem in the long run. This is why I'm wary of working around OS/browser bugs...

• Okay, so I could reproduce and this should be fixed in the next build now (finally!)

The root cause of the problem was actually pretty unusual. When the iPad 3 came out, it had terrible performance, unless you used a canvas width of 2046 instead of the full 2048 (probably due to obscure details of the graphics driver). We duly hacked in a workaround that set the maximum viewport size to 2046 on retina-enabled iPads. Fast forward about 4 years and the iPad Pro is the first retina iPad device with a viewport wider than 2048 pixels! Our hack was still kicking in and bringing the viewport down too narrow. I tested the iPad 3 and it looks like it doesn't need this hack any more, presumably subsequent iOS updates fixed the original problem. So it should all be working as of the next build.

Interesting how workarounds that are essential at the time end up being a problem in the long run. This is why I'm wary of working around OS/browser bugs...

Awesome news!! has this already been applied to any beta versions of Construct 2 that i can test or is it too early days to try this out. I say this because i have a deadline looming and the client have ipad pros and this is the only issue that remains.

thanks for the awesome work guys.

Nad

• This should ship with r224, which should be out by next Monday.

• Good to know! I just ran into this and I'm really glad a fix is already underway.

• Awesome! Had a great day working with C2 and this was just icing on the cake!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)