Importing Certain .WAV files Crashes on Safari

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
  • Problem Description

Certain sound files (this seems to happen with very short sounds, like a footstep or a "getting hit" sound) will cause the game to fail to load on mobile. The game will load fine on PC, however.

Attach a Capx

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/987 ... orked.capx

Description of Capx

There is simply an Audio object, as well as the culprit sound file (this time it happened to be a footstep from a game I'm working on) in the sounds folder. There are no events. When launched on PC it will run, but on mobile (at the very least when previewing over wifi) it will throw an error and either try to reload the page or crash.

This bug only happens if both the Audio object and a sound file exist, even if no code tells that sound to run. Without the Audio object, the crash does not happen.

If the sound file itself were bad, one would think it would have problems importing, or if not that, then both PC and Safari would crash?

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Create new default project.
    • Create Audio object
    • Download this example broken sound file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/98721999/step1.wav (or just make a really short sound, maybe it'll happen?)
    • Import the sound file into Construct 2 normally
    • Launch Game on both PC and Mobile

Observed Result

PC works fine, but it crashes on mobile

Expected Result

The layout should run.

Affected Browsers

• Safari (I only have an iPhone so I couldn't test any other mobile platform)

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows 7

Construct 2 Version ID

Version 90 (64-bit)

• Hi, I think short sounds can cause errors like this. I had an issue way back where trying to import some audio files into C2 would cause the editor to hang, and it turned out to be the length of the files. I padded them out (added silence) so they were at least 00;00:001 in length and that solved the problem.

So maybe you could try padding the files, and see if it fixes your problem.

You can use Audacity to do that. It's free and awesome tool.

• I do think it is short sounds, but I tried lengthening the sound and it would still crash, but again just on Safari.

• on mobile (at the very least when previewing over wifi) it will throw an error and either try to reload the page or crash.

What is the exact text of the error message? What precisely is happening here? These are vital details, please remember to include all this detail in bug reports.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • > on mobile (at the very least when previewing over wifi) it will throw an error and either try to reload the page or crash.

>

What is the exact text of the error message? What precisely is happening here? These are vital details, please remember to include all this detail in bug reports.

It tries to reload a few times, then just says "there was a repeated error loading the page at (url)."

Either that or it crashes without actually giving error text.

Really, that's it.

• What version of iOS are you testing on?

• I can reproduce on iOS 8, but it looks like a browser crash, not a problem with the C2 engine. Also Windows Media Player says the resulting .m4a file is invalid as well, which probably means the encoder failed to produce a valid .m4a file. Unfortunately we don't control the .m4a encoder and due to the patent restrictions on the format it's not easy to switch to another one. So I'm afraid we have to close this as won't fix. You may be able to work around it by using a separate tool to encode the .m4a from the .wav file, then directly import the .m4a in to C2 so it doesn't convert it itself.

• FWIW filed a bug with Apple here: https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=139545

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)