Grammar/wording correction for "set visible".

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Shuffled Words
$5.36 USD
33% off
Simple but fun word game. Restore an original word from shuffled letters.
  • Problem Description

"Set Visible" under appearance in the action menu should read as "Set Visibility". The current parameter for "Set Visible" correctly asks for the user to select "Visibility".

Attach a Capx

NA

Description of Capx

NA

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Step 1 Create an event for any object.
    • Step 2 Add an action for the object.
    • Step 3 Under "appearance", the action reads as "Set Visible".

Observed Result

NA

Expected Result

The action selection should read as "Set Visibility".

Affected Browsers

• Chrome: (YES/NO)
    • FireFox: (YES/NO)
    • Internet Explorer: (YES/NO)

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows 7 service pack 1. I am running it on my Mac with Parallels.

Construct 2 Version ID

r229

• Set invisibility?

I think visibility is a bit ambiguous as it implies multiple states of opacity.

• Set invisibility?

I think visibility is a bit ambiguous as it implies multiple states of opacity.

yeah..

• The current parameter option does not appear as "invisibility".

• The parameter for "set visible" is already calling itself "visibility: visible/invisible". In the same way the "set opacity" parameter is currently calling itself "opacity". If opacity were to follow the same form as "set visible" it would be called "set opaque".

You can apply it to sentence grammar:

Do you want to the object to be "visible"? Parameter should be: yes/no

How do you want to the "set visibility" state to appear? Parameter is currently: visible/invisible

• It's just splitting hairs.

If you were to go by what it really does you would say drawn, or not drawn.

While it has the advantage of not being seen, it also has the feature of not being rendered.

You're saying it should say "visibility: visibility/invisible", but that doesn't fit either.

If you were to keep visibility you need "visibility: visibility/invisibility"

"Visible: visible/invisible" makes more sense imo, and is correct grammatically, it's just not expected in its context.

"Drawn, not drawn" is probably confusing to a beginner.

Also: erased

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • All I am suggesting is wording uniformity. I know it's a small thing and a fine line of distinction.

You're saying it should say "visibility: visibility/invisible", but that doesn't fit either.

If you were to keep visibility you need "visibility: visibility/invisibility"

This is not the wording I used. I think there is a misunderstanding here.

This is how it currently appears:

Add action>set VISIBLE>visibility: visible/invisible

This is my suggestion:

Add action>set VISIBILITY>visibility: visible/invisible

OR

Add action> set visible>VISIBLE: YES/NO

• Visible: "Able to be seen"

Visibility: "The state of being able to see or be seen"

Source: Oxford English Dictionary.

Thus the editor is technically correct as it is and it would also be correct if it was changed to how your first suggestion is worded. Not a bug, just lexical semantics .

• Fair enough.

Thank you everyone for your time.

• Closing as won't fix: while one way or the other may be technically correct according to English grammar, in programming some "inaccuracies" are actually quite common in order to refer more to the technical state rather than English prose. For example in programming it's common to have a function name like "SetIsVisible" (as in "set the 'is visible' flag"), even though "set is visible" is wrong or could mean something else. In C2 the action is meant in the context of "set visible [flag]" or "set [is] visible". I agree the contractions can look weird, but I won't rule out such style from C2, especially when action/condition names work best when they're as short as possible.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)