Getting software rendering in node webkit on vista

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
Node Downloader is a plugin for download file for Construct 3 and construct 2 game engine
  • Problem Description

Node webkit, in export and preview, has software rendering on 32 bit vista.

For some reason it seems to be ignoring the --ignore-gpu-blacklist flag in the package.json and package-preview.json files (the flag was actually missing in the package.json file, adding it didn't help). If I create a shortcut to the NW.exe in the construct 2/exporters/html5/node-webkit/win32 directory and add " --ignore-gpu-blacklist" to the target, run it, then put in the preview address into the address bar, then the framerate is smooth. Adding " --disable-software-rasterizer" to the shortcut instead is ineffective.

Running from a modified shortcut is the only way I've found to get it to work, but that's not a reliable method if the user decides to launch the exe directly. Maybe it's a bug in node webkit itself.

Attach a Capx

Description of Capx

All .capx files are affected, including the space blaster demo game. I'm not sure how to provide a .capx for this because if a computer's CPU is fast enough to run it even in software rendering at 60 fps, then the effect would not be noticeable compared to if it was working properly, so the best recommendation I have is to duplicate the background tiles of space blaster until it starts hitting the frame rate in software mode, then compare with my shortcut method above (this of course is only if you even have access to a vista computer). Maximizing the window also impacts the frame rate more severely.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Step 1 - open space blaster on a vista machine.
    • Step 2 - preview in node webkit.

Observed Result

Framerate is vastly lower than it should be because of software acceleration.

Expected Result

Hardware acceleration should be on.

Affected Browsers

• only node WebKit (well, chrome too, obviously)

Operating System and Service Pack

Vista 32 bit sp2

Construct 2 Version ID

• This was recently posted by a hosting provider I use http://www.reliablesite.net/hosting-new ... rformance/ - I recommend, reading this article as it might be able to resolve your issue.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • robert420 - Thanks for the link, but the problem is actually because of the chrome team deciding to disable software acceleration on all computers running XP and vista.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)