Freeze dialog window (Reload CAPX)

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
A sound pack containing 132 laser gun sound effects, including mono and stereo versions of audio files.
  • Ashley Thank You! Yes! But in a large project file adding events and actions is very very slooow.

• ilimi - I think this is because Construct 2 is running in to a limit in the Windows OS. Windows only lets you create ~10000 icons before it starts running out of memory, and with 2000+ objects and the C2 editor creating icons in a variety of sizes, it can end up running in to that limit. It's very difficult to do anything about this since it's not really C2's fault, it's a limitation in Windows. That checkbox in Preferences was added as a workaround to this very issue. Is it plausible to keep working with that setting?

• Also the project has a huge number of seemingly totally redundant objects - for example Sprite1 through Sprite40 appear to all be identical images of a star, and this means the editor has to create 40 icons from the limited budget where you only need 1 object. There appear to be many other objects redundantly repeated over and over again. This is extremely inefficient and is probably the main reason you're running in to this limit. Why does your project do this? Can't you remove all the redundant objects?

• Ashley Attachments - demonstration of the problem. I can not send my project in its original form. I just created a lot of sprites for a demonstration.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • [quote:23zovi44]Is it plausible to keep working with that setting?

Yes, but it will be quite time-consuming because of the slow speed.

• Ashley, It worked!!!!!!

Does this still happen on the 64-bit version of C2? The OP error message indicated a 32-bit install of Construct 2.

I've looked in to this, and it appears Windows simply has a hard limit of 10,000 UI objects, even in the latest versions, which sucks. C2 also provides icons in 3 sizes (16x16, 32x32, 64x64) so with 2000 object types in your project you could get up to 6000, and then I guess there's a bunch of other UI stuff going on, so it hits the limit and basically the UI starts falling apart as it can't allocate any more UI objects from the OS.

I've read a few posts by MS engineers along the lines of "10000 should be enough for anybody" (sigh) so doesn't look like this will change any time soon. I will review the code in C2 and make sure it's as efficient as possible, but I'm not sure how to avoid creating all the necessary icons for components like the project bar, where it needs to be able to show everything at once. Icons are also already lazy-loaded per size requested so that should keep the counts down too. Perhaps there's something else I'm missing, but I'm not sure what it could be.

Possible hackish workaround - do not attempt if you're not comfortable with possibly system restoring/booting in to safe mode to fix things: from what I've read you can increase Windows' limits slightly, by modifying the registry. Head to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows. There are two keys initially set to 10000: GDIProcessHandleQuota, and USERProcessHandleQuota. Set them both to 18000 (decimal) and reboot the machine, and hopefully C2 will have more breathing room with icons.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)