Framerate drops by 90% when using big text object

0 favourites
  • 2 posts
From the Asset Store
Avoid obstacles and survive as long as you can!
  • Problem Description

I'm not entirely sure this is a problem with Construct or if it's CocoonJS who's at fault.

When I preview a project in the CocoonJS App on iOS, the size of the text object affects the performance of the game.

Basically, if I update a text object every tick based on an incrementing variable, and the text object is fairly small, I get 60 FPS on iPad 4. On the same device, if I make the text box bigger, the framerate drops to 4.

Only occurs in Canvas/WebGL mode (in CocoonJS I mean) on iOS. Doesn't occurs in webview mode. I haven't tried other devices since I only own an iPad 4.

I'm using CocoonJS v2.0.0.

Attach a Capx

Attached to this post.

Description of Capx

Increment a variable by 1 every tick, and display it in a text object.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Launch the attached capx in Ludei's CocoonJS Laucher app on iOS, using Canvas/WebGL mode
    • Notice the framerate is 60 on iPad 4
    • In Construct, make the text object bigger. About 2-3 time wider and taller should be enough.
    • Launch in CocoonJS again
    • Notice the framerate is now between 4 and 6 on iPad 4.

Observed Result

Framerate is really low

Expected Result

Framerate should be consistant.

Affected Browsers

• CocoonJS Launcher app on iOS in WebGL/Canvas mode. (The webview mode is not affected) (browsers on computer don't look like they are affected)

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows 7, latest version.

Construct 2 Version ID

r173, 64-bits

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Closing as won't fix, this is basically the same issue as https://www.scirra.com/forum/text-object-drops-the-performance-on-mobile-significant_t108633 and the conclusion is the same. Although I'd add in this case you change the text contents every tick, forcing a GPU upload of a new texture every tick. If you have to change text every frame, prefer a sprite font.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)