crashes relating to undoing edits

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
  • I know I have not included a capx or anything, and this is not a normal bug report, more of an observation of a reoccuring problem.

I have had some instabilty issues, and it varied form version to version (betas included)

I found one source of instability which I cant reproduce effectively but is as consistent as day and night for me ..., undoing and or redoing .. not saving .... continue to work, .... crash ..

Perhaps not as simple as defined above, but whenever I am busy in a growing project, and I dont save regularly, the whole construct 2 program becomes unstable after undoing edits (undo, especially if you undo a lot) and redo some or and add some events after the undo's ... and pow .... at some point close after the undoing, a freeze/crash happens.

When the auto save was introduced, it saved every half hour and my problems seemed to have vanished ... but .. the saving became tedious with big games, and turned it off ... and wham .. crashes occured again.

I fiddled around and took note of crashes ....

So now I have the autosaving on 2 hours and taught myself to hit the save button more regular.

It appearedd to me, that after having undone a couple edits, then hitting save button, and continue with whatever, stopped the crashing for me ....

In short:

Every crash I have now (very few) occur after I undid a couple of edits and did not save before continuing to work.

• I only started using C2 a few days ago but I can confirm that dragging code blocks around / undoing and some other (undetermined) actions make the editor unstable. I can't reproduce any of these problems at will but I've already seen a few crashes using r158 (I was looking at a few bigger tutorial projects with several event sheets, etc. when I ran into crashes.)

• I've also had odd crashes but and the latest did in fact happen to occur right after an accidental undo.

I redid the action, alt-tabbed, and when I went to get back to C2, it stopped responding.

I'm wondering if it could be an auto-save issue when undoing? I have mine set to every 5 or 10 minutes, and it was just about due.

• We cannot do anything without steps to reproduce. If it really is "consistent as day and night" you should be able to provide a .capx with steps to reproduce. Without this information it is almost impossible for us to do anything towards fixing it.

• We cannot do anything without steps to reproduce. If it really is "consistent as day and night" you should be able to provide a .capx with steps to reproduce. Without this information it is almost impossible for us to do anything towards fixing it.

very true, but sadly for me and quite a few others, there is no consistent way to reproduce apart from working, doing and undoing edits ... seeing as soon as a save is done, a potential issue is avoided (at least for me) thusly unable to ever produce something that could hold the negative side effect.

I am also not asking to directly look into the situation, as the problem is far from severe, seeing the methods to work with construct 2 already prevent most of the occuring issue (auto save and advice to save often).

Perhaps its just something to take notice of, and shoud you run into something inconsistent with undoing, you have this to take into consideration if your pondering if it could cause an issue or not.

• lennaert - try to find a reliable way to reproduce the issue - if you can then we have a good chance of fixing it. Also, lots of people mis-attribute what they think the cause of a bug is, and it may actually be completely unrelated to undo. Perhaps it's to do with whatever you tend to do after you undo instead. It could also be a straightforward graphics driver crash and not really be related to anything, so try checking your drivers are up to date too.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I'd like to add my 2 bits.. there is definitely an undo bug IMO. I just lost an afternoon and evening of work (a whole project). This is totally my fault but I was so into it I forgot to even save the first time. But of course without the bug, it wouldn't have happened.

So... if I undo multiple times in a row (this time it was perhaps 6-7 times) then it will often crash. I will try and create a capx to reproduce it.

I have noticed this for the last 4 versions (all the ones I've used). Currently using 175 beta.

PS: I don't suppose C2 'saves' to a temp area... that I could recover my project from

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)