Canvas Recording FPS Drop In Fullscreen Mode (+Memory Crash)

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Minimalist Crash Balls is a game where the goal is to hit the ball on the portal, with 20 different levels :)
  • Problem Description

I'm a huge fan of the canvas recording feature and so far it was working like a charm.

However recently when testing out the project in fullscreen mode, I've noticed a huge performance drop while recording.

Recording with a window size of 1920x1080 in windowed mode works as intended but recording

with exactly the same resolution in fullscreen mode is affecting the performance heavily.

Attach a Capx

Click HERE to enter the download dimension.

Description of Capx

Pretty self-explanatory.

Steps to Reproduce Bug #1 (FPS Drop)

• Run the project and start the recoding
    • Toggle between fullscreen and windowed mode
    • Notice FPS drop in fullscreen mode

Steps to Reproduce Bug #2 (Crash On NW.js)

• Run the project and start the recoding (using WebM VP9)
    • Maximize the window
    • Notice that the memory usage is steadily increasing
    • Crash when reaching limit

Observed Result (Memory Usage Measurements [NW.js])

Using WebM VP8:

• Windowed Mode = ~120.000K
    • Fullscreen Mode = ~134.000K

Using WebM VP9:

• Windowed Mode = CRASHED! (It used more and more memory until it reached it's limit.)
    • Fullscreen Mode = ~455.000K

Expected Result

Recording should be fine using fullscreen mode and WebM VP9 should not crash.

Affected Browsers

• NW.js: YES (FPS Drop + Crash)
    • Firefox: YES (Javascript error when starting the VP9 recording, might help you out to find the bug.)

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows 7 with latest updates and up to date drivers.

Construct 2 Version ID

Newest release r234 Steam release. [Personal Edition]

Additional maybe useful information:

• NW.js version: v0.17.0
    • Checked C2 data with the Steam software data check system (0 Errors Found)
  • Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I can reproduce, but there is nothing we can do about this - the recording is handled entirely by the browser.

You should report the Chrome issue directly to crbug.com and the NW.js issue to https://github.com/nwjs/nw.js/issues.

• I can reproduce, but there is nothing we can do about this - the recording is handled entirely by the browser.

You should report the Chrome issue directly to crbug.com and the NW.js issue to https://github.com/nwjs/nw.js/issues.

Understood that, thanks for the response.

What about the JS error using VP9 in Firefox, is it caused by the browser or the plugin?

• It's really confusing to report more than one bug per report. You should file separate reports so each can be addressed individually.

• It's really confusing to report more than one bug per report. You should file separate reports so each can be addressed individually.

HERE you go, sorry for the inconvenience.

I just thought that it would be better to have one whole bug report about this feature instead of 2 separate ones.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)