just gave it three other tries with microsofts sysinternals process explorer running, nothing special to see in the process list.. had the pngout.exe errors but java worked fine. TWO TIMES this time.
It executed a working result.
Third one crashed again on the java.exe and so did the fourth.
Giving up for now, no clue where the devil in detail originates here.
This is really the first time i regret having bought it over steam and not the standalone version.
Ashley: Any thoughts or advise on these issues? Any further information that would be helpful?
As mentioned, the free standalone r119 stable works without any issues.
Just to test last night I opened a command prompt and disabled DEP completly. Rebooted, and it didn't make any difference, so that's not the issue. I guessing this must be a Vista issue.
Some other things I might try when I can get home; verifying game cache through Steam, disabling Steam Community in-game.
ViZiONEER: Have you changed your graphics card anytime in the last few years? This is the only thing slightly out-of-the-ordinary that I have done with my machine, switching from nVidia to ATI. This was about 18 months ago though, and hasn't caused any other problems so it's a long shot. Just trying to think of anything common between our setups
I also think it is a Vista/Steam issue.
SecondDimension: I have a Notebook, no internal hardware has been replaced, not even the RAM or HDD/ODD. It is just set up as it has left the factory.
I'll try to find out on my own or contact steam in the evening.
This does sound like a Vista-specific issue, but I think the problem is either with or caused by a third party tool (either PNGOut, the java thing, or Steam). I've noticed there's a new version of PNGOut available; I'll update it for the next build, and hopefully that will resolve it.
I might mention... if you upgrade to Windows 7 or 8 you also get automatic AAC encoding when you import audio. Might be worth considering :P
So may we try to download it from
and copy it into
or whereever the file has to go... I am at work right now but will give it a try when i am back at home.
No, had absolutely no effect to replace pngout.exe with the new version.
Update or a new machine? That's the question now i fear...
I also tried the Vista Issue steps mentioned on steam support. Nothing changes.
OK, the good news is that I've managed to stop this error occurring on my system. I still get a load of strange DOS boxes, flickering and so on, but the export works and the games are playable when uploaded.
The bad news is that I'm not entirely sure what fixed it, as I spent an hour changing and uninstalling things, after which the problem seemed to be solved. I can narrow it down and say the fix must have come by doing one or some of the following things:
* Setting Windows Explorer to show hidden files & folders
* Verifying Application Cache for CS2 Within Steam
* Disabling Steam In-Game Community
* Uninstalling Steinberg CuBase and associated drivers
* Uninstalling GameMaker Steam version (in case of sabotage)
* Uninstalling All Non-Valve Games from Steam
* Uninstalling Skype Click-to-Call
* Uninstalling EA Download Manager & all games that need it (Spore etc)
* Disabling Every Plugin, AddOn and Theme within FF & IE (left Chrome alone)
* Using Driver Sweeper to remove any outdated graphics drivers (Nividia)
(edited for spelling)
A little light on the horizon.
<font color=BROWN>ToCheck</font> * Setting Windows Explorer to show hidden files & folders
<font color=BROWN>ToCheck</font> * Verifying Application Cache for CS2 Within Steam
<font color=GREEN>N/A</font> * Disabling Steam In-Game Community
<font color=GREEN>N/A</font> * Uninstalling Steinberg CuBase and associated drivers
<font color=GREEN>N/A</font> (Scirra FTW! ;-))* Uninstalling GameMaker Steam version (in case of sabotage)
<font color=GREEN>N/A</font> * Uninstalling All Non-Valve Games from Steam
<font color=GREEN>N/A</font> * Uninstalling Skype Click-to-Call
<font color=GREEN>N/A</font> * Uninstalling EA Download Manager & all games that need it (Spore etc)
<font color=BROWN>ToCheck</font> * Disabling Every Plugin, AddOn and Theme within FF & IE (left Chrome alone)
<font color=BROWN>ToCheck</font> * Using Driver Sweeper to remove any outdated graphics drivers (Nividia)
I'll check the things I can do on my system, and try it after every step. If it still occurs I'll have a look at ohter third party software that may interfere with C2/Steam
same problem with the free steam version :
windows vista sp2 32 bits
intel core 2 quad
4 Go ram
GeForce GTX 260
One other thing that forgot to put on the list; I uninstalled Mikogo. Although I still think that using Driver Sweeper was what solved it for me...
I changed from Nvidia to ATI graphics about 18 months ago, and Driver Sweeper found the old Nvidia drivers still on my machine. I suspect that deleting these fixed the problem. Perhaps the Steam version has some conflict with Nvidia drivers on Vista 32bit?
I'm just checking in here as another user with the problem. I started with the free scirra.com version and did some tutorial projects. I later installed the steam version and it wouldn't preview projects. However, if I loaded one of my previously saved projects (from the scirra.com version) it would export those and preview in browser. Very weird. After trying a few things unsuccessfully I deleted the steam version and went back to the original. It works fine.
In case it's a contributor to the problem, I am using an ATI/AMD graphics card. I doubt that is the issue though.
Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.
Was not on for a while... Had still R119 running. Now I just updated to R126 and it does its job well again. No more error messages. Worked twice... Restarted C2, and it still works. Thank you so much! Time to do some progress on my project then! :-)
Mine was going OK with some minor crashes, but since r126 it has been a lot better, thanks