Audio stops working after iPhone video player was used

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Basic Rounded Vector Geometry Player Design with Glow for 3 player games
  • Problem Description

Audio fails after the iphone video player was activated.

Audio works but once the iphone video player played a video, all audio played after doesn't play, somehow it stacks up and when it feels like it, it releases all the audio at once.

First I thought it was related to the issue posted here: notice-ios-9-breaks-all-audio-playback_t161387 and the bug logged here: https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=154538 .

Since these are both logged as resolved I've decided to post this bug report.

Attach a Capx

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fisvgsqdlhvgewc/iosvideoaudio.capx?dl=1

Description of Capx

Loads a layout containing a tv screen that plays a video and a green sprite (button) that plays an audio file.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Step 1: Run the project on iphone safari (online version: https://kyf.staging.vision.be/assets/content/test2/)
    • Step 2: Tap the green button -> the audio plays (click it some more)
    • Step 3: Tap the tv screen -> a video starts playing (fullscreen default iphone behaviour)
    • Step 4: Close the video and tap the green button again => no more audio

Observed Result

No more audio when returning from video player

Expected Result

Audio should work

Affected Browsers

• Chrome: YES on iOS
    • Safari: YES on iOS

Operating System and Service Pack

iOS version 9.3.1 (also on 9.2.1 only versions tested)

Construct 2 Version ID

Release 227 (32 bit)

Kind regards

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I'm seeing this one too. I believe it is part of those fixed iOS 9 audio bugs. The fix for the previous bug was to rebuild the audio context when the app first starts, which works great until you break the audio by viewing a video (such as an advert) or minimizing the app.

My two cents is that there needs to be an action to rebuild the audio context as just doing it at the start isn't enough.

• I am guessing this is just another case of the same iOS bug, and playing the video also causes a sample rate change. Apple have apparently fixed the underlying issue so hopefully it's fixed in the next iOS update.

I don't want to add any more hacks to try to work around this: the hacks tend to be so ugly they cause as many problems as they solve, which is exactly what's happened with some other recent sound bugs as well.

• To come back on this, nothing has changed so far.

Audio is still distorted after playing a video, caused by the sample rate change from 41kHz to 48kHz.

Even in the latest iOS version.

Is there really no solution for this? I have a really big project and this audio issue is blocking everything in this final stage, hundreds of development hours have been spent and our client will not accept as the sound in the game is crucial for them. I pay for construct and I think some support should be provided.

• Hi Tim, I was in exactly the same position until last week. It turned out that it was actually my iPad. I did a full restore and the problem disappeared.

Very strange as I was on iOS 9.3.2 before and after the restore. Maybe you could try the same on your test devices to see if it helps?

• This happens on Android too. Both Cocoon and Intel XDK. Watch a video add ( Tried Chartboost and Admob ) and ALL sound effects bar the music stops when the video finishes. I opened a bug about this before but it was closed because i didnt upload a .capx / my bad i know!

Goin back to the main menu ect doesnt fix it. The app needs to be forced closed, and the second you watch a video ad again you lose all sound effects again.

Ashley - Any ideas of a work around we can do on our end even?

• This is a closed bug report, please file a new report following all the guidelines if you continue to have trouble.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)