Audio object volume increase problem

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the "Construct Starter Kit Collection". It is the Student Workbook for its Workshop.
  • Problem Description

The Audio object does not register an increase in volume, when I set a sound file's dB level above 0. This prevents me from increasing the volume of my sound files above their original level. I have tried setting dB levels, both in the initial Audio "Play" action, and in the Audio "Set ("tag") volume" action. Minus values still work, but plus values are not registered above 0.

Attach a Capx

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78057629/VolumeAdjustment.capx

Description of Capx

This capx plays a simple countdown audio track (e.g. 10... 9... 8... etc), in the "On start of layout" event. It has three buttons, which are all labelled. The first will reduce the audio tracks dB level to -20, the second will reset the dB level to 0, and the third will set it to +50.

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• To test the Audio "Play" action: (1) Enable one of the Audio "Play" actions (in the "On start of layout" event) and disable the other two. (2) Try step 1 for all three versions and you'll notice that dB settings above 0 do not sound any louder.
    • To test the Audio "Set ("tag") volume" action: (1) Enable the Audio "Play" action with it's dB level set to 0 (in the "On start of layout" event) and disable the other 2 options (note: this is currently set as the default option). (2) Run the layout and press the "Lower volume" / "Reset volume" / "Raise volume" buttons. Once again you will notice that dB settings above 0 do not register as being any louder.

Observed Result

Setting an audio files dB level above 0 has no affect on the volume of the audio track.

Expected Result

When increasing the audio files dB level above 0, I had expected the volume to increase.

Affected Browsers

• Chrome: (YES)
    • FireFox: (YES)
    • Internet Explorer: (YES)

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows 8.1 & 10

Construct 2 Version ID

version 212.2

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Closing as by design. As per the Web Audio API you cannot amplify audio, only attenuate it. Given that much digital audio content is already normalised (reaching to peak level), allowing amplification would probably be something of an anti-feature anyway, since even slight amplification would immediately cause clipping and distort the audio. Certainly amplification as high as +50 would cause such severe clipping as to probably render the original sound unrecognisable.

• Ashley

You need to fix the manual then:

[quote:3ox28y3k]A volume of 0 dB is original volume, above 0 dB amplifies the sound, and below 0 dB attenuates the sound.

• Ashley, thanks for your reply.

I'm sure we used to be able to increase the dB level past 0 in C2. Here's a quote from the Audio section, in the Manual. You'll note that it does mention increasing the dB level above 0. This may be for information purposes only, but it does give the impression that it is possible.

[quote:bl3565we]Set volume

Change the volume of a sound. The volume is given in decibels (dB). A volume of 0 dB is original volume, above 0 dB amplifies the sound, and below 0 dB attenuates the sound. For example, entering a value of -10 plays the audio back 10 dB quieter (about half as loud).

**Also please note, that I only increased the dB level by such a large amount, to make it absolutely obvious this was not working. I wouldn't make such large increases in my project normally!

• You're both right, the manual entry actually contradicted this. I've updated the manual to note amplification is not supported.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)