X Acceleration Tilt & Gamma Orientation Problems

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
  • Problem Description

This thread is in continuation of my recent post viewtopic.php?f=146&t=168777&p=1016256#p1016256 posted in General Construct 2 section. I decided to post it here on the bugs section because now I believe that it is a C2 issue.

I am developing an endless jumper and I need to implement Tilt controls (like in Doodle Jump) in order to move the player left or right.

I realized that the best method to do this, is by using “acceleration X with gravity”. The result was great and it worked fine with my mobile and with some other mobiles as well.

However the feedback from other mobile users was not so great. The acceleration X was always at 0 (zero) for them and the player did not move at all. I told all of my testers to try Doodle Jump, so I can check if it is a problem of their device and their feedback was that Doodle Jump tilt works fine on their device.

Right now the devices I can confirm about X Acceleration (with gravity) are:

Working: Motorola Moto G 3rd Gen, Motorola Moto G 1st Gen, Alcatel C7 Pop

Not Working: Motorola Moto E 1st Gen, THL T6 Pro

About the Gamma Orientation I have found this link: http://www.sizzle-games.com/Tilt/ which is a Construct 2 example with Gamma Orientation. Now it is clear that the problem is from Construct 2 regarding the Gamma Orientation. If you watch the Gamma values and try to lift up your mobile facing you (in 90 degrees) like a desktop monitor, then the values are unpredictable. The result was the same in every apk that I have tested and in every device.

Thank you in advance.

Attach a Capx

Not needed, you can reproduce it with the original C2 Infinite jumper Template as well.

Description of Capx

-

Steps to Reproduce Bug

Just try it

Observed Result

• Gamma Orientation give unpredictable values if the device is faced on 90 degrees.
    • Acceleration X (with gravity) is not working on all mobile devices

Expected Result

• Gamma Orientation should give the right values if faced on 90 degrees.
    • Acceleration X should work on all devices with accelerometer.

Affected Browsers

-

Operating System and Service Pack

Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit), Service Pack 1

Construct 2 Version ID

Release 221(64bit)

• Bumping..

• I am interested in a fix for this also. My game is nearly complete and have been using this method on my Android device with the same issue of control. You can play the game if you hold the device in an expected manor, but under the same conditions reported by exalted, the control goes awry at those angles.

• The devices you mentioned lack the hardware sensors to report those values! It's not a bug, there is no way it can work if the device is lacking the sensor.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The devices you mentioned lack the hardware sensors to report those values! It's not a bug, there is no way it can work if the device is lacking the sensor.

I made a post with my observation on devices that have the sensor, I have a galaxy note 4

https://www.scirra.com/forum/x-acceleration-tilt-is-not-working-in-all-mobile-devices_p1016010?#p1016010

The issue is forward and backward tilts influence left and right at polar angles even though I'm not ref forw/backw in construct.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)