Memory Leak in Chromium

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Memory game, with 10 levels for you to have fun. Made in Construct3, template available for purchase.
  • Update:

https://github.com/nwjs/nw.js/issues/3722

https://github.com/nwjs/nw.js/issues/2614

Apparently a well known problem in the NW.JS community. O_o

Still not fixed since forever. Jesus, we just can't get a break... bloody Google broke vsync for ages and then this. Forget about making large games, even for PC. gg

https://github.com/nwjs/nw.js/issues?ut ... emory+leak

What this means is that bigger C2 games can only be played in short sessions. After awhile the memory leak grows unstable, the first symptom is stutter in gameplay, that gets worse and worse. The smaller the game, the longer the play session, but all games suffer this problem.

This is literally C2-breaking for any export reliant on Chromium. The problem is worse for bigger games as the play session before issues arise can be ~1 hour.

Problem Description

This was posted awhile ago, it's still present and a problem for bigger games with lots of assets.

certain-memory-does-not-get-released-in-texture-allocation_t112725

The reason I am posting this again is because it is a major problem that still has not been resolved for over a year.

Attach a Capx

More info in above thread

Description of Capx

More info in the above thread

Steps to Reproduce Bug

• Make an empty layout with a few 2048 x 2048 empty sprites.
    • Repeat with a few of such layouts.
    • Switch between them.

Observed Result

Layout transitions increase the cache memory used in Chromium/NW.js, repeatedly rising until game stutters or system crash. Observe the nw.exe or chrome.exe using more and more memory.

This problem DOES NOT occur in IE.

Expected Result

No memory leak.

Affected Browsers

• Chrome: YES
    • FireFox: N/A
    • Internet Explorer: NO

Operating System and Service Pack

Win 7 64 SP1

Construct 2 Version ID

• YEAH exellent i was sure something was wrong.... about performances of games made in contruct2 ...

"The reason I am posting this again is because it is a major problem that still has not been resolved for over a year."

YEARS.........

• Interestingly, 64 bit NW.Js does not seem to be affected, it caps out at around 1.4GB for me, unlike the 32bit NW.Js. The only downside is the 64 bit NW janks badly after awhile, micro-stutter... but no constantly increasing memory use or crashes.

Using NW12 64 bit now for a few hours already, will need to test more.

• i only work in 64bits, never used the 32 version.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • i only work in 64bits, never used the 32 version.

The only reason I've stuck with the 32 bit version so far is because Google messed up with Chromium vsync, so I've been using NW 10.5 which doesn't have a good 64 bit support. Now that I've found 10.5 has a memory leak, I've been using NW 12 to test. 32 bit is smoother than 64 bit version, I don't know why, but 64 bit janks quite badly after a short period of play. The 64 bit also uses more CPU than 32 bit version. :/

So either way currently it's unplayable after a short session, 32 bit suffers memory leak, 64 bit janks..

Hopefully NW 13 Alpha 5 fixes the Jank at least, so can use the 64 bit export.

• well i hope nw.js is going to be updated soon.

• I can't reproduce this in the latest Chrome version. Even switching between all the layouts very quickly for some time, memory usage in task manager is stable.

If it reproduces only in NW.js, it's probably because the version most people use is well over a year old now, so it might be a bug in the Chromium engine that was fixed some time ago. We have an NW.js update to 0.13.0-alpha5 in the works so hopefully that will make a difference.

• I can't reproduce this in the latest Chrome version. Even switching between all the layouts very quickly for some time, memory usage in task manager is stable.

If it reproduces only in NW.js, it's probably because the version most people use is well over a year old now, so it might be a bug in the Chromium engine that was fixed some time ago. We have an NW.js update to 0.13.0-alpha5 in the works so hopefully that will make a difference.

Thanks, I'm still on Chrome 40 for the browser and only tested up to NW12.

Hopefully 0.13.0 alpha5 for C2 comes soon!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)