Tutorial for Mega n00bs

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Carousel Animation, make carousel of you image gallery or anything
  • Hello, all!

I came across this program last night and went through the beginner tutorial; however, I feel like the other tutorials on here are still a little advanced for this mega n00b. Can someone point me in the right direction for simple and basic tutorials? I would prefer to learn about sprite functions individually or in small groups rather than trying to build an entire game, if that makes sense.

Thank you!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • and be sure to consult the manual

• There are a few beginners tutorials besides Ghost Shooter. Also check out the platformer tutorial and the asteroids tutorial, they are all linked to at the beginning of the Ghost Shooter tutorial.

The most important read is here:

https://www.scirra.com/manual/75/how-events-work

You can look through the example projects when you go to new project in the program, there are a lot of good mechanics there, and all commented.

I really recommend picking a very simple game to try to make. Try to think of arcade classics like Breakout, Pong, or Space Invaders. Work on it, and when you run into a problem you can't figure out, come to ask on the forums and I'm sure you will find help.

On the other hand, if you're here I'm sure you've already got some idea of a game you want to make. Just go for it! Or ask if you're not sure if something can be done.

• Thanks, all! The game I have in mind is snake! I thought it would be simple but it's much harder than I thought. At the moment, Im trying to pin the tail to the head and also get it to follow the same path rather than the rope or chain style that came with the program. Not much success. Maybe that's jumping the gun a little.

• I found this:

My mind just went numb but I'll work on trying to understand it!

• Snake is actually one of those games that are a bit more complicated than it looks

There are actually many ways to do snake, but if you're doing a grid based one let me give you a hint: the body doesn't actually move at all!

If you imagine every time the snakes head "steps" one box, it drops a body box there.

The length of the snake is just how many "steps" that body box lasts before disappearing.

If your snake eats an item, just increase how long each body stays visible for by one "step".

If your head ever collides with a body piece, game over.

If you're not doing a grid based snake, then go for waypoints. It will be more complicated, but basically you'll be storing all the coordinates your head has visited and your body pieces will go to each one in order.

Good luck!

• Thanks, oosyrag! I'm looking to make the game more like Neopets Meerca Chase: http://www.neopets.com/games/game.phtml?game_id=500 rather than an 8 bit old school brick phone version. I understand exactly what you're saying. Right now, I'm just kinda bouncing around on tutorials to help get a better idea of stuff.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)