Rotating top-down vehicles with fake perspective

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Set of tiles to create a map for top-down games with island theme
  • Hi there,

As I do not have the rep points yet to add images I will have to describe this as best as possible.

I am trying to achieve an effect whereby using static images of a 3D model, I can give the illusion of it being somewhat 3D (basically the exact same principle as used on old-school RPG characters like in the old Zelda's, Final Fantasy's, Albion, even Diablo/Starcraft/Baldur's Gate etc...)

Using multiple images from different angles, used for when the vehicle is rotating. For instance, one image from above/behind, for when you are driving upwards, then an image from above/infront for when you are driving down, towards the bottom of the screen, and then extreme left and right, with atleast 1 intermediary animation picture/sprite for when you are inbetween heading vertically and horizontally.

Could anyone perhaps give me some tips or point me in the right direction? As I am literally having a huge amount of trouble trying to work this out.

I would rather not have to settle for a 100% "top down" view, (such as GTA 1+2) for the vehicles, since the buildings,props, and characters are all using the false perspective top-down style, where you can see the characters feet+legs+torso+head rather than just the top of their head and any sticking out limbs.

Thanks so much for any guidance anyone can offer! Cheers!

• So far I think I have got the pure rear/above and front/above perspectives down, but still no idea how I could get the side angles working smoothly...

Is there someway I can use Construct 2 to slowly warp between the 2 images when turning/cornering/rotating, so it gives the illusion of it being seen from a different angle/perspective?

Thanks

• So far I think I have got the pure rear/above and front/above perspectives down, but still no idea how I could get the side angles working smoothly...

Is there someway I can use Construct 2 to slowly warp between the 2 images when turning/cornering/rotating, so it gives the illusion of it being seen from a different angle/perspective?

Thanks

I assume that you are making a isometric tank. Not the easiest to do with just the free version of C2 but I will try. Attach a instance variable to your tank sprite, call it Direction. Then you need to have your tank sprite set up for using animation frames. Just the one animation for now but all it is an series of shots of your tank facing Right ie 0deg and have frames rotating around at 30deg increments. Basicly what we will be doing is change frame based on what direction we are moving. Now the fun part, set up a condition trees

If Direction = 0 Then set frame for TankSprite.imageframe = 0

If Direction = 30 Then set frame for TankSprite.imageframe = 1

If Direction = 60 Then set frame for TankSprite.imageframe = 2

If Direction = 90 Then set frame for TankSprite.imageframe = 3

etc

Really all that is left is making conditions for turning. Just Add +or- 30 to Direction for each mark of turning Left or Right. You can just have the sprite move along the same path as it is facing with little problem. By decreasing the size of the turn you can get smoother turning but you only have 100 events so space is precious.

edit- One more thing

Dont mistake Direction to be == to SpriteTank.Angel you are not actually rotating your sprite you are in fact just animating it to appear so. You can still use Direction for moving the spire with Move SpriteTank at angel = Direction

• Thanks Vulcan

Actually it is just normal "jRPG" style top-down (with illusion of depth) style view like "Zelda: A Link to the Past" but with a different art-style/more detailed.

Great I will have to look into using the condition trees. Still very new to Construct 2.

Another issue I am having... is logically working out how to "photograph" (screencap) my 3D model from the side views for it to look correct and in perspective with the rear/front views.

I will try attaching some images of the model/sprite in question.

Thanks

• Ahhh.. going crazy here.

Are there any rules that people know about for creating these sort of false perspective/false depth 2D art assets at all?

Here putting together a few assets, trying to get the angle looking right, but everything looks wonky and out of perspective with each other..

Please if anyone has any links or advice in regards to this I would be very greatful.

Thanks

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Youre going for something that looks a bit like this ?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrrabiw7x41rx ... 6.png?dl=0

As it happens, i just today scratched my head off with how to make isometric maps and finally got something going. So if this is the style you're going for, you need to set up your layer to something like grid width: 32 grid height:16 and check snap to grid (this can be done in the "view" section. After that, you need a tileset that works with the grid. for instance, the tiles in the pictures are 64x32

Hope thats of any help, i just about shot myself trying to get this damn thing to work.

• Youre going for something that looks a bit like this ?As it happens, i just today scratched my head off with how to make isometric maps and finally got something going. So if this is the style you're going for, you need to set up your layer to something like grid width: 32 grid height:16 and check snap to grid (this can be done in the "view" section. After that, you need a tileset that works with the grid. for instance, the tiles in the pictures are 64x32

Hope thats of any help, i just about shot myself trying to get this damn thing to work.

Nice stuff, I was initially thinking about trying to isometric route, and I would have liked it but I decided to go for "3/4" top down view where its pretty much straight on, but with some not necessarily correct tilting to provide depth/perspective.

I've ended up giving up on trying to give the vehicles or anything rotating the false perspective angled look... just gone with old school GTA 1 + 2 birdseye view for any non-static vehicles like this... Thanks anyway though! It's a complex thing that I think needs some mathematics, which is my weakest point by far

• Looking good there mate, nothing wrong with GTA 1&2 look.Perhaps you should go with this top-down look now, and after completing it, if u'r still passionate about it, make a sequel with the more complex graphics.

• Looking good there mate, nothing wrong with GTA 1&2 look.Perhaps you should go with this top-down look now, and after completing it, if u'r still passionate about it, make a sequel with the more complex graphics.

Thanks a lot man , yeah I think that is what I will stick with, and yeah I was planning to do a 3D sequel in CryEngine 3 next year or so, quite funny you sort of guessed haha.

Cheers, take it easy and good luck with your project!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)