How do I put a delay in a for each loop?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
SynthWave Loop Pack includes 68 seamless loops, founded on 11 original melodies.
  • Hello all,

I am trying to do a Tower Defence game and I want to add an effect at the end of the levels if the player fails. I want the towers to explode one by one with a short delay in between.

I tried a "for each" loop, where each tower spawns an explosion and gets destroyed followed by a "wait(1)" but that didn't work. The explosions all happen at once.

Any idea how to achieve the desired effect? Many thanks.

• Wait doesn't work on loops.

You should use an "Every X seconds" event, then you pick one instance of your towers family and apply a destroy action to it.

• Thanks GamerGon. How do I pick one instance of my tower? Is there an easy way or do I have to cycle through all objects until I found an instance of my Tower object?

• Ah, found it. Pick Random instance

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ah, found it. Pick Random instance

hahaha yes... pick random instance. Sorry, too late. I was on a meeting.

• Another way of doing it: set wait to 1+loopindex*1. This method skips some objects if there are too many so I have a destruction array.

Destruction Array:

When the game ends do an ordered loop for each tower(I usually choose tower.y ascending) and write each tower's UID and time of destruction.

set destructionarray(loopindex,0): Tower.UID

set destuctionarray(loopindex,1): time+1+loopindex

after creating the array you can:

Compare at XY (0,1): whever this value is smaller than time(the system expression) destroy the tower with UID destructionarray(0,0) and delete this array value. When your array has 0 values the game ends.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)