End the game?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
five golem elements Sprites Sheet.Best for enemy or villain game characters.
  • Is it just me, or is there no system action to simply "end the game"?

Of course I searched, cause I thought it would be a common question. Oddly, nothing I could find. Results are pretty cluttered though.

Edit: Discovered that the Browser object's "Close" action does exactly what I want, even if I am not playing in a browser (I make only windows exe games). How odd. But if it works it works. Though I might still say it's a good idea to label such a thing a little better so it's not misleading.

• You are almost always working in a browser, for these are html5 games and to make them .exe's (or apk etcetera) a wrapper is used which is actually a kind of browser..

• You are almost always working in a browser, for these are html5 games and to make them .exe's (or apk etcetera) a wrapper is used which is actually a kind of browser..

I see. well that's interesting, but I am just glad it worked exactly the way I wanted it to. If I wasn't such an open minded person, I probably would have never tried such a thing.

• Modern software typically does not have a close or quit function. Android/IOS/Win8 are designed to hold recently used apps suspended in memory instead of closing out entirely.

For example, if you want to stop playing a mobile game, you most likely need to hit your home key or back key a bunch of times, but if you go back to it, it will most likely be where you left off.

Expect the quit feature to become more and more scarce in the future, as it will be a job delegated to the OS.

• Modern software typically does not have a close or quit function. Android/IOS/Win8 are designed to hold recently used apps suspended in memory instead of closing out entirely.

For example, if you want to stop playing a mobile game, you most likely need to hit your home key or back key a bunch of times, but if you go back to it, it will most likely be where you left off.

Expect the quit feature to become more and more scarce in the future, as it will be a job delegated to the OS.

It seems like a lot of people and game developers are going the mobile route these days. I am not too fond of such a thing, because I am 25 years old and never even really had even a cell phone. I generally don't like the small screens, touch screens, small keyboards, etc, on them either. I prefer to stick to windows games, both making them and playing them. And also playing console games, though making them seems to be outta my league. Most windows games I download usually do have quit options, so for windows at least, I really don't see how such a thing is being phased out, nor do I want it to be. Its quite a basic thing, and it should not be denied to people who want it, especially when its so simple and probably takes little effort to create.

• Have you used windows 8? because that would explain a lot of where software is moving. Closing/freezing applications is handled by the OS in the "metro" part of windows.

Sometimes in windows the same thing happens, it only pretends to let you close software. For example, when you close steam, utorrent, chrome, etc, they still have services running either in the taskbar or in the "services" dialog.

• Have you used windows 8? because that would explain a lot of where software is moving. Closing/freezing applications is handled by the OS in the "metro" part of windows.

Sometimes in windows the same thing happens, it only pretends to let you close software. For example, when you close steam, utorrent, chrome, etc, they still have services running either in the taskbar or in the "services" dialog.

I am not much of a fan of window 8, currently using windows 7, and am therefore worried.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yeah, things are changing, and they're not going back. Don't worry, embrace. You're 10 years younger than me, you should be more tech savvy than me

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)