I have a couple of general questions

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
A collection of various characters spritesheets for creating a 2D top down, RPG, tower defense, or other similar game.
  • I searched around a bit and could not find an answer (at least not in forum). I am working with the manual and tutorials but am curious about something before I go too far with my current idea.

1- Are the games we make on Construct 2 patchable? I would like to make mine in about eight parts, releasing each part as it is completed and have it patched onto the existing game.

2- I assume that we can move a player from one layout to another, much like changing the map we are playing on. Is this correct?

Thanks

• 1- I don't know much about this, hope some one else can answer this

2- This is possible. Open construct 2>New> select Example: Persistent Layouts

• I don't think there are any patch functionality, at least not what I have seen. I believe that C2 works more with releases which requires that people download the new ones each time.

• Thanks to all. I have read some about persistent layouts, will look at more. If patching is not possible I wonder if there is any other way to save a players data from a previous release and import it into a new release. The eight levels advance the gameplay but would take some time to complete as one single release.

• Saving the data is independent of the version of software/game, unless you design it that way.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ok thought you meant something else, when you said patching.

All the informations can be saved, so cant see why you shouldn't be able to reload it, if you update the game, unless you do something that would require something from the save game that is simply not there. I haven't worked a lot with the build in save functionality, but if you are careful and plan the game well, then why not

However the persistent layout I don't think will help you a lot, as it will make things persist as you switch layouts, but if your save games are screwed then it wont work anyway. What you want is to load an old save game for an updated version of your game, so I would check that out first if I were you, if I understood you correct that is

• (...) However the persistent layout I don't think will help you a lot, as it will make things persist as you switch layouts (...)

It is ment as an example to show him that it is possible to transport the player from one layout to another

• > (...) However the persistent layout I don't think will help you a lot, as it will make things persist as you switch layouts (...)

>

It is ment as an example to show him that it is possible to transport the player from one layout to another

I completely forgot that part of the question as you had already answered it, so thought he was just going off track, sorry

• Thanks folks, I appreciate the great feed back on this.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)