Two questions about Paster plugin

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Footsteps SFX Two contains 450 sounds of steps and jumps on different surfaces.
  • Hello R0J0hound , I hope I'm not disturbing you, I have two questions about Paster, since I started experiment with it more, and managed to figure how to do some stuffs like trails using arrays and multiple quads;

However I was curious about the quad distortion of a texture, is it possible to obtain a more "accurate" distortion? Something that could be compared to a image editor distortion like this (image on the right) :

My second question is, is it possible to "break" a texture between multiple quads using a single texture instead of using multiple textures, something like this :

Thank you for your time, I'm really having fun with the plugin atm ~

Tagged:

• Hi,

Making the distortions better is out of the scope of this plugin. Mayne it's solvable via a shader or utilizing perspective correct texturing. Both would require a fair amount of shenanigans to be able to do that within C2's renderer. One half solution is to subdivide into smaller quads, and perhaps changing how the quad is made out of triangles could give some improvements. The latter could be done by rotating the order of the vertices as needed. Could be something to experiment with.

As is the distortion works well with scaling, sheering, or rotating. Perspective isn't possible with affine transformations without hacking the renderer to be 3d or some special case shader.

For your second question you can do that with uvs. Just set the xy and uv of all four vertices and use the "draw quad with uv" action.

dropbox.com/s/ganjw6d7v7i43ab/paster_Tomycase.capx

• Hi, first of all thanks for the quick answer, I understand better why a clean distortion is complicated to achieve, and thanks for the example file as it makes thing easier to understand;

As for the fragmented texture, I've never heard of vertices before, I think I get the basis tho, it sets the quad coordinates starting with top-left corner (index 0) up to index 3 just like Draw Quad action, there's just the U and V parameters that I'm not sure to understand, what do they correspond to and how do you set them up in relation to the used texture (for example, why is V=0 or 1)?

Thanks~

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You can think of vertices as just points. Most 3d modeling programs use that term.

Anyways UVs are just texture coordinants. Much like XY give a location on the layout, UV gives a location on a texture. UVs go from 0 to 1. Say this square is an image, the following shows the UV of each corner.

(0,0)
    +----+ (1,0)
    |....|
    |....|
    +----+ (1,1)
    (1,0)

Since UVs are in the range 0 to 1 this is called normalized coordinates. It's useful as opposed to pixel coordinates because it works for any image size. If you want to use pixel coordinates you can convert it to uvs with (x/imageWidth, y/imageHeight).

• Oh that indeed makes sence now that I can visualize it, thanks for the explanation, I'm going to experiment more with it ~

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)